My tomato cabbage soup recipe is a popular fat-burning soup that is great for weight loss. It's a savory vegetable beef soup with cabbage, tomatoes, onion, ground beef, and lots of fresh herbs and spices.
A healthy and comforting soup you can feel good about eating. Ready in 40 minutes, low in calories and only 3.6g carbs in each bowl!
Table of Contents
I love the anticipation of a cozy soup cooking on the stove…
And I promise that my tomato beef cabbage soup will become a new favorite healthy lunch or dinner to make for the whole family.
Tomato soup on it's own is great, and we all love it, but do you want to know how to make it even better?
By adding cabbage and ground beef you can take your soup to another level of deliciousness!
In my opinion, it's at least a thousand times better and a complete hearty comforting meal all on its own.
Why You'll Love It
- Each comforting bowl has only 3.6g net carbs
- Great for weight loss (popularized by the cabbage soup diet!)
- Light and healthy with 225 calories per bowl
- Very easy to make with 10 mins prep
Ingredients You'll Need
To make my tomato ground beef cabbage soup you'll only need 10 key ingredients plus salt and pepper! As always, add your own favorite herbs and spices.
- Ground beef - You can use lean or higher fat ground beef for this soup. If you use ground beef with a higher fat content, you may need to drain some of the excess fat off after sautéing.
- Cabbage - In my opinion green cabbage is the best for any cabbage soup with ground beef. When cooked it has the perfect tender texture and just the right amount of sweetness.
- Tomatoes - I used organic crushed canned tomatoes but you can also use fresh diced tomatoes as well.
- Onion - A diced red onion to add extra flavor to the beef broth.
- Garlic - You'll need a couple of cloves of garlic or minced garlic from a jar. Add extra if you're a garlic fan.
- Broth - I used beef broth but you can substitute it for chicken broth or vegetable broth as well. If you're using store bought broths, make sure you check the label and check the carb content.
- Olive oil - I used extra virgin olive oil which is better for sautéing vegetables than standard olive oil.
- Herbs and spices - I used a simple combination of paprika, thyme, salt and black pepper, as well as a bay leaf when simmering. Feel free to add your favorites.
How To Make It
Let's get started making my tomato beef and cabbage soup! Follow the simple steps below:
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Sauté the shredded cabbage, ground beef and onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with a pinch of salt, paprika and pepper.
Add the garlic and stir it in to the cabbage mixture. Continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
Add the broth to deglaze the pan while continuing to stir. Add the tomatoes and bay leaf. Season with thyme and lower to a medium heat.
Simmer the soup for another 15 to 20 minutes and add a little extra water if needed.
Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning to your own tastes then serve hot. Enjoy!
Cooking Tips & Variations
Don't forget the bay leaf - Adding a bay leaf makes all the difference as well. It makes the flavor of the soup deep and rich with a rustic touch that is truly addictive.
Careful of canned tomatoes - If you're going to use canned tomatoes, make sure you check the label carefully! Canned tomatoes are notorious for having added sugars.
Add more vegetables - Want more vegetables? No problem. Thinly sliced celery, mushrooms, bell peppers and broccoli are all great additions to this soup.
Other herbs and spices - So many herbs and spices work great with this soup. Try cayenne, paprika, oregano, basil, and fresh parsley.
Can I substitute the beef?
Yes, it doesn't have to be a tomato cabbage soup with beef!
You can easily make this recipe with other types of ground meat. Ground pork, lamb, chicken and turkey will all taste just as great (maybe even better!)
You can also double the amount of meat to a whole pound if you want more protein in your soup.
Can I make it vegetarian/vegan?
You can easily make my soup vegetarian and vegan! Simply substitute or remove the ground beef and substitute the beef broth for vegetable broth.
For extra protein, firm tofu is a great beef substitute and it's low in carbs as well. You might need to add some extra garlic powder and paprika to give the soup more flavor.
In the fridge: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
In the freezer: You can use this soup for meal prepping by making larger batches and storing them in the freezer. Let the tomato cabbage soup cool completely and then transfer into single portions in freezer proof containers. Store them in the freezer and they will keep for up to 3 months.
To reheat: To reheat the soup from frozen, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a pot on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Soup Recipes
I've got SO many great keto soup recipes I'd love to share with you! Try these:
Tomato Cabbage Soup with Ground Beef Recipe
- 5 oz Cabbage shredded, ~2 cups
- 8 oz Ground Beef ~1 cup
- 8 oz Crushed Tomatoes canned, ~1 cup
- ½ medium Red Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 4 tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the shredded cabbage with the ground beef and onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with a pinch of salt, paprika and pepper.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the beef broth to deglaze the pan and stir in the tomatoes and bay leaf. Season with thyme and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Adding a bit of water if needed.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve hot.