My easy keto fathead dough recipe made with almond flour only needs 4 ingredients! It's great to use as a fat head pizza dough or versatile, low carb pastry.
Table of Contents
Easy Fathead Dough Recipe
This is the only fathead dough recipe you will ever need, and making low carb pastry doesn't have to be a struggle. It's versatile and easy to make and will become your go-to base for all keto recipes that require dough.
Kept low-carb, gluten-free, and keto-friendly using healthy ingredients like mozzarella cheese and cream cheese.
From pizza, cinnamon rolls, and pastry-based desserts to sausage rolls, flatbreads, and pot pies — this fathead dough is all you'll need.
It’s so soft and elastic that you can fold, roll, slice, or shape it into anything you like. It's great to make in a large batch stored in the freezer when needed.
Why You'll Love It
- You'll only need 4 simple ingredients
- Make keto pizza with fat head pizza crust
- Ready to eat in 10 minutes with just 5 mins prep
- Only 2g carbs in each piece!!
What Is Fathead Dough?
Fathead dough is a great alternative to traditional high-carb doughs when you're on a low-carb or ketogenic diet. It's low-carb, gluten-free, vegetarian, and keto-friendly.
Ingredients You'll Need
My fathead dough is made with just 4 simple ingredients. Check out the recipe card below for the exact amounts.
- Mozzarella cheese - shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cream cheese - room temperature.
- Almond flour - extra-fine blanched almond flour.
- Egg - at room temperature.
Fathead Pizza Dough
You'll be happy to know you can use this recipe to make a keto-friendly pizza.
A fathead dough pizza is so simple and easy to make. It also has the same texture as real pizza dough.
Perfectly crispy and chewy, you will fall in love with this fathead pizza crust recipe.
Each slice of my fathead pizza dough recipe has only 2g net carbs. This makes it a great option to add to your low carb meal plan.
In this post, check out how to use this recipe to make the perfect keto pizza crust further down.
Looking for more low carb pizza crusts? Another option is my cauliflower pizza crust topped with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. It's delicious!
How to Make Fathead Dough
Fathead keto dough is straightforward, and you can make a large batch to keep in your freezer.
To make your dough in the microwave, follow these 3 easy steps:
- Combine cheese and flour. Mix the mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, and almond flour in a microwave-safe bowl—microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and salt. While adding the egg and salt, stir until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Roll out the dough. Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Use a rolling pin to shape the dough to your desired thickness. If you notice the dough is too sticky, lightly dust it with almond flour.
- Bake the dough. Now your fathead dough is ready to use. You can bake it in the oven on a lined baking pan at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius) for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. Eat it as is, or use it in your favorite recipe.
Sticky Dough? No Problem
If you are still having problems with sticky dough, these tips should solve it:
- Lightly dust the dough with almond flour while rolling it. This should allow you to shape and roll the dough to your desired thickness.
- Rub oil on your fingers and hands while you shape the dough. A little oil will stop the dough from sticking to your fingers.
- Refrigerate the dough for around 15-30 minutes to allow it to chill. This should make it less sticky and easier to shape.
Can Fathead Dough be Frozen?
Yes! That's why this is a great recipe. You can make a large batch and keep it in the freezer.
- To store in the freezer: Make the dough and form it into a large ball. Wrap it tightly in plastic, then throw it in the freezer.
- To use from frozen: When ready to use it, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw. You can then roll it out and shape it for many different recipes.
Frozen Keto Fathead Pizza Crust
Another great idea if you're a pizza lover is to bake your keto pizza crust and freeze it. Bake the crust as mentioned below without sauce or toppings, let it cool, wrap it in plastic and freeze it.
When you're ready to make a keto pizza add your favorite low-carb sauce and toppings, then bake.
Fathead Pizza Recipe
As we mentioned, this fathead pizza dough makes the perfect keto pizza crust. It will surprise you because it tastes so similar to a regular pizza.
Oven times will depend on how thin you like the crust. A thin and crispy crust should take around 7-8 minutes.
- Bake the dough. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius) until it reaches your desired consistency. It should take between 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add sauce and toppings. Spread over a low carb sauce with no added sugar, such as marinara. Add your favorite toppings, such as pepperoni and mushrooms.
- Bake the pizza. Bake for around 5 more minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) until the toppings are cooked.
Fathead Pizza with Frozen Crust
- Baking from frozen. To make your pizza using frozen fathead pizza crust, add your sauce and toppings, then bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for around 20 minutes until crispy and delicious.
Can I Substitute The Almond Flour?
Yes, you can make this fathead dough using coconut flour as well. The ratio of almond flour to coconut flour is 4:1, so you'll need ¼ cup (50g) of coconut flour for this recipe.
You can also use other low carb flours as well. It can be made with ¼ cup (50g) of flaxseed flour, chia flour, or sesame flour.
Can I Substitute the Mozzarella?
Yes, using cheddar cheese or a combination of mozzarella and cheddar works great.
Recipes To Make
Looking for more recipes that utilize my fathead dough? Try these:
- Fathead Bagels - made with just 6 ingredients and the perfect breakfast! They go perfectly spread with cream cheese or dipped in olive oil.
- Fathead Cinnamon Rolls - can you believe you can enjoy cinnamon rolls on the keto diet? These low-carb cinnamon rolls are the ultimate sweet treat and only contain 2.1 grams of net carbs each!
- Turkish Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) - ultra-thin and crispy base topped with flavor-packed ground beef, onion, tomato, fresh herbs, and spices.
Keto Fathead Dough Recipe (4 Ingredients!)
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 3 tablespoon Cream Cheese (1.6 oz)
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1 large Egg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
To Make Fathead Dough
- Mix the mozzarella cheese with the cream cheese and almond flour in a microwave-safe mixing bowl. (if you are using a microwave oven for the recipe).
- Microwave for 2 minutes on high, or use sous vide* for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir to incorporate the ingredients. Add the egg and season with salt.
- Place the dough between two pieces of baking paper and roll with a rolling pin or a tall glass to your desired thickness. Lightly dust with almond flour if it’s too sticky.
- Use according to your recipe instructions or simply bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes, depending on the thickness, to enjoy it on its own.
- *Sous Vide: Prepare a water bath by filling a pot with hot water. Bring to a gentle simmer. Place the ingredients you need to cook in a heatproof bowl, saucepan, or zip-lock bag, and place the bowl or bag in the simmering water.
To Bake Fathead Dough
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Place your fathead dough on the lined baking pan and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness.
To Make Fathead Pizza Crust
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Place your pizza dough on the lined baking pan and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Spread your desired low carb sauce and toppings over the dough. I like to use sugar-free marinara, pepperoni, mushrooms, and mozzarella.
- Set the oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake for 5 minutes until the toppings are cooked.