Breast or thigh? Well, you can have both. This herb-roasted chicken with slow-roasted tomatoes and garlic is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Flavorful and hearty, it makes an excellent holiday dinner for the whole family.
Roast extra cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves and you’ll have a wonderful bruschetta topping for the next day. This topping goes beautifully with our keto fathead dough!
Garlic Roast Chicken Recipe
There's nothing quite like an easy to make, herb-roasted chicken recipe. Perfectly roasted in herbed butter with slow-roasted tomatoes and garlic results in an incredible flavor.
You can also use this recipe to make herb roasted chicken breasts and herb roasted chicken thighs. It doesn't have to be a whole chicken! Make a whole batch ahead of time as meal prep for your keto meal plan.
Ingredients You'll Need
The ingredients for this garlic butter roasted chicken are simple but oh so flavorful! (For the exact measurements refer to the recipe card below).
- Whole chicken
- Chicken stock
- Cherry tomatoes
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Herb Roasted Chicken
The following steps are all you need for the perfect roast chicken dinner!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grab a mixing bowl and add your softened butter. Gently fold in the thyme, sage, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Keep mixing until you get a smooth paste.
Take a baking pan and place your whole chicken inside with the breast side up. Now you'll want to carefully lift the skin up to create a small pocket for the herbed butter. Fill the pocket under the skin evenly with half of the herbed butter mixture.
Now rub the top of the chicken with the remaining herbed butter. Try to get an even coat across all of the skin. Pour the chicken stock into the baking pan and place the chicken in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and carefully remove all the pan juices. Add your cherry tomatoes and whole garlic cloves into the pan. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to roast for another 45 minutes.
While the chicken continues to roast occasionally check it and toss the pan juices over the chicken, tomatoes and garlic.
This herb roasted chicken recipe goes great with a number of different sides. You might like to try it with:
- Oven Roasted Green Beans with Cheese
- Maple Bacon Wrapped Carrots
- Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
- Keto Baked Zucchini Fries
Thinking about dessert? Try one of these delicious keto desserts that won't kick you out of ketosis!
Herb Roasted Chicken with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic
- 4 pound Whole Chicken
- 1 ½ cups Chicken Stock
- 1 head Garlic
- 4 cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 tablespoon Butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Thyme dried
- 2 teaspoon Sage dried
- 2 teaspoon Onion dried flakes/powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, soften the butter and fold in the thyme, sage, onion flakes, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix to get a smooth paste.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, in a baking pan and lift the skin to create a small pocket for the herbed butter. Tuck half the amount of the herbed butter under the chicken skin to coat all the surfaces evenly and rub the remaining butter on the top of the chicken.
- Add the stock to the pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and scoop the juices from the pan on the chicken.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and the garlic cloves whole, into the pan.
- Return it to the oven and roast for about 45 minutes at 350°F checking occasionally and tossing the juice to coat the chicken, tomatoes and garlic.
- Serve hot.