Looking for some seriously marvelous, low carb holiday desserts? You’ve landed on the right page.
These keto gelato bars with a festive mint frosting are so indulgent and fudgy. Get ahead of the holiday menu game without even trying. A must make low carb dessert for Christmas!
We made these for Christmas but if you change the frosting color and flavor easily. They will make the perfect dessert for any occasion that requires a sweet treat without the carbs.
Is Gelato Keto?
Gelato is a very popular Italian frozen dessert a lot like ice cream. Traditional gelato recipes are loaded with sugar which makes them a no-go for the keto diet. But gelato can be made keto!
By substituting sugar for Erythritol and including other low-carb ingredients you can make this a low carb gelato. Enjoy keto gelato as a low carb ice cream alternative. It’s basically a keto-friendly ice cream!
Ingredients for Keto Gelato
Keto gelato or keto ice cream only requires a few simple ingredients. For the exact measurements check out the recipe card below.
For the keto gelator bars:
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
- Sugar-free chocolate chips
For the festive mint frosting:
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Mint extract
- Dried cranberries (optional)
- Green food coloring (optional)
How to Make Keto Gelato (Low Carb Ice Cream)
To get started line an 8×8 baking pan with a baking sheet. We’ll start with the gelato bars. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat. Add the Erythritol, butter and vanilla extract then stir until all the ingredients are dissolved.
Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes and then add in the sugar-free chocolate chips. Keep stirring until the mixture reaches a smooth, velvety texture. Now pour the mixture into your baking pan and pop it in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
While you’re waiting for the gelato to set you can make the festive frosting. As we mentioned earlier you can customize this recipe for any holiday! We made these for Christmas so we went with a minty green frosting.
Grab an electric blender and beat the cream cheese, Erythritol, heavy cream and mint extract. Get the frosting to a smooth consistency and then fold in the food coloring.
Once the gelato is set take it out of the freezer. Spread the mint frosting over the frozen keto gelato evenly. Cut into 25 small squares and top each square with a dried cranberry. Serve cold and enjoy!
More Keto Desserts (and Sweet Treats)
- Quick and Easy Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- The BEST Keto Donut Holes
- Keto Peanut Butter Mousse
- Cacao Chia Pudding
- Keto Snowball Cookies
- Keto Coconut Cookies
Keto Gelato Bars
For the Keto Gelato Bars
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Erythritol powdered
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar-free Chocolate Chips
For the Mint Frosting
- 1 cup Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Erythritol powdered
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Mint Extract
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries optional
- 2-3 drops Green Food Coloring optional
- Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper.
- Heat the heavy cream over low heat in a saucepan and add the sweetener, butter and vanilla extract. Stir to dissolve.
- Let it cool down for a couple of minutes and add the chocolate chips to the mixture. Stir to melt into a smooth, velvety consistency.
- Pour into the prepared pan and freeze for at least 20 minutes.
- In the meantime make the frosting: With an electric blender beat the cream cheese, Erythritol, heavy cream, and mint extract to get a smooth frosting.
- Fold in the food coloring if using any.
- Spread the mint frosting over the frozen chocolate layer evenly. Cut into squares and top each one with the dried cranberries, if using any.
- Serve cold.