A great new way to enjoy two of the most popular breakfast ingredients: egg stuffed avocado! This keto breakfast is worth waking up for and works great as an appetizer or snack.
Avocado egg boats are a fun and easy idea for kids as well. It's a great way to get your kids eating healthy! They're colorful and work well as an after-school snack idea.
Table of Contents
Easy Egg Stuffed Avocados
Baked avocados with an egg that rises beautifully when baked come together to create a flavor explosion in a breakfast that will leave you asking for more.
Start with a ripe, yet firm avocado, make a little cavity to accommodate the eggs, season with any spices that you prefer and bake for 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked through. You can also add extras like cheese and bacon - the recipe is super versatile.
Voilà! This baked avocado egg recipe is sure to become one of your favorite breakfasts that you may just find yourself enjoying each day!
For the full ingredient list check the recipe card below.
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Optional chopped herbs (parsley, dill, basil and thyme)
- Optional toppings (cheese, crispy bacon)
How to Make Them
This baked avocado egg recipe is a super simple meal loaded with nutrition and flavor. Here's how to bake an egg in an avocado:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius) and grease or line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Wash the avocados and cut them in half lengthwise removing the pit. Scoop out some of the flesh of each avocado so that there is a well for the egg. Feel free to snack on the avocado you've scooped out while doing this!
- Season the avocado boats with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Gently crack the eggs into the avocado wells being extra careful not to break the egg yolks.
- Season again with another pinch of salt and black pepper then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the avocados in the preheated oven for around 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked through. Optionally take them out halfway through and add any of your additional toppings like crispy bacon or cheese.
- Remove from the oven and optionally sprinkle with fresh herbs. Parsley, dill, basil and thyme all go great with this recipe. Serve immediately!
Baked Avocado and Egg Quick Tips
A few quick tips for our baked avocado and egg recipe:
- Cut a tiny slice off the bottom of each avocado. If you're having an issue getting your avocado to stand this will give it a nice flat base and prevent any egg from spilling out.
- Pack the avocados close together. Additionally, you can place the avocados close together and lean them against the sides of the baking dish. This will help them stand as well.
- To avoid spilling extra egg white use a bowl. You might have excess egg white when filling the avocado wells. Simply crack the eggs into a bowl. Use a spoon to gently place the yolk and fill the well without having excess egg white spill into the baking pan. This also helps if you accidentally break a yolk when cracking the egg. Use any extra egg white or broken yolk to make an omelet!
Are Avocado and Eggs Healthy?
Absolutely! Both eggs and avocados are loaded with nutrients.
Eggs are a great source of protein, healthy fats, and vitamins. They contain less saturated fat than other animal products, which is good for your heart health! They are also low in calories and have less than 1 gram of carbs.
Avocados are full of healthy fats that make them super nutritious. They're a rich source of folate, fiber and potassium. They also contain monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to help lower LDL cholesterol levels in your body. They are also a good source of Vitamin E, which is great for your skin and hair!
Baked Avocado and Egg Nutritional Stats
Our baked avocado and egg recipe has an amazing nutrition breakdown. It fits perfectly with any low carb or keto diet. Full nutrition details can be seen in the recipe card below. Here are the main points for one egg boat:
- 329 total calories
- 31 grams of fat with a large portion being healthy unsaturated fat
- 6.8 grams of fiber
- 7.5 grams of protein
- Only 2.4 grams of net carbs
Baked Avocado Egg Boats Recipe (Egg Stuffed Avocado)
- 1 large Avocado
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Herbs (Parsley/Dill/Basil/Thyme) optional
- Preheat the oven to 450° F and grease or line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Scoop out some of the flesh of each avocado half with a spoon to create a cavity. Cut a tiny slice at the bottom if necessary to help them stand upright.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Crack in the eggs and season again with a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked through.
- Optional: If you're adding additional ingredients like cheese or bacon, take them out half way through baking to add the ingredients.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, optionally garnished with fresh herbs.
Readers also love
Widget not in any sidebars