Nothing says celebration like a good, home-cooked low carb meatloaf. Whether it’s Christmas or a Sunday meal with the family this is the recipe to make to impress everyone. This low carb meatloaf recipe will even be a hit with those that aren't afraid of carbs!
We tested this recipe over and until it was perfect. We tried keto breadcrumbs, flaxseed, parmesan and grated nuts, almond flour, coconut flour and even ground pork rinds! Here’s the take that won the contest.
Table of Contents
Is Meatloaf Keto-Friendly?
First of all, can you eat meatloaf on your keto diet? Our low carb meatloaf is actually very low in carbohydrates with only 2.5g of net carbs per slice. This makes it the perfect addition to your meal plan.
I promise if you're a meat-lover this low carb meatloaf will become one of your go-to dinners. It's quick and easy to prepare and such a hearty comfort food.
Ingredients You'll Need
You don't need any complex ingredients to make this hearty keto meatloaf. Most of these ingredients you'll already have. The exact measurements are on the recipe card below.
Ground beef - You don't need to use extra lean ground beef for this recipe. I recommend using standard or lean ground beef or the meatloaf can come out too dry.
Eggs - Use large eggs in this recipe to help bind everything together.
Flaxseed - We tested a number of binders for this recipe including almond flour and coconut flour. In the end, we found that flaxseed works very well.
Herbs and spices - Paprika, salt, black pepper and parsley are the staples for this meatloaf. Make sure they are fresh!
Cheese - We use finely grated Parmesan cheese for this meatloaf.
Sauce - Meatloaf is nothing without a delicious sauce. We use tomato paste and balsamic vinegar with a pinch of salt and paprika. A sweet and tangy sauce that goes perfect with meatloaf.
How To Make Keto Meatloaf
To get started, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking pan with a baking sheet.
In a large mixing bowl mix together your ground beef, parmesan cheese, eggs, onion, garlic, flaxseed, salt, paprika and parsley. Now you'll want to let the mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes. This is an important step because it will allow the flaxseed to soak up all the extra liquids.
While the meatloaf mixture is resting you can make the topping sauce. In a bowl mix together the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and season with a pinch of salt and paprika.
After it has finished resting, transfer the mixture onto your baking pan and shape it into a loaf. Brush over your sauce and bake in the oven, uncovered for around 60 minutes until cooked through (cook time may vary). Let the low carb meatloaf rest for around 15 minutes then slice and serve!
Tips For Your Low Carb Meatloaf
Baking - After much experimenting, for the perfect tender and juicy meatloaf bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes. Each oven varies so much in temperature so this may be different for you. You can also use a food thermometer until the internal temperature is 160° F.
Avoid loaf pans - Don't use a loaf pan to make meatloaf. It's best to bake it on a baking sheet on a large baking pan. This allows the outside to crisp up.
Juicy and tender - The most crucial step for a light, juicy and tender meatloaf is in the mixing of the ingredients. For the perfect fluffy texture make sure to handle everything gently. Combine the ingredients until everything is well incorporated. Be very gentle when shaping your meatloaf and this should stop it from coming out too dense.
Seasoning - You can easily modify this low carb meatloaf recipe to your own states. Experiment with chili powder, thyme, onion powder and cumin.
Nobody Likes Dry Meatloaf
To make sure your keto meatloaf doesn't come out dry make sure to follow these tips:
- Avoid lean ground beef. As we mentioned earlier lean ground beef is going to make your meatloaf super dry. Aim to use an 80/20 ground beef blend and no lower than 85/15.
- Let the mixture sit. Once you've combined all the ingredients let them sit together for 5 to 10 minutes. You want to let the flaxseed absorb all the excess liquids
- Rest your low carb meatloaf. Just like other meats, resting your keto meatloaf is very important. Rest it for around 15 minutes to allow the juices to absorb and settle.
Leftovers? No Problem
Another great thing about this keto meatloaf is that the leftovers are still delicious the following day, even cold! It will keep for up to 3 days when refrigerated in an airtight container.
A great way to enjoy a slice is to fry it with a little olive oil in a pan. You can even enjoy the slices cold with some veggies and keto condiments.
What To Serve With This Keto Meatloaf
Meatloaf is such a versatile main dish that goes well with almost any side dish. You might like to try it with some of our other keto recipes.
BEST Low Carb Keto Meatloaf Recipe (Easy)
- 1 pound Ground Beef 450 grams
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 Red Onion minced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 tablespoon Flaxseed
- 3 tablespoon Parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the minced beef with the parmesan cheese, eggs, onion, garlic, flaxseed, salt, paprika and parsley.
- Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes so that the flaxseed can soak up all the extra liquids.
- Transfer on the pan and shape into a loaf.
- Mix the tomato paste with the balsamic vinegar and season with a pinch of salt and paprika. Brush the top of the meatloaf with the mixture.
- Bake in the oven, uncovered for 60 minutes until cooked through.
- Let it rest for around 15 minutes before slicing and serving.