My keto bread rolls are deliciously soft, doughy, and fluffy rolls that everyone loves! Made with only 6 ingredients, they are perfect for sandwiches or fresh warm the oven spread with butter. With just 2.6 grams of net carbs per roll, it's hard to believe they are low carb!
Table of Contents
Keto Bread Rolls
This is by far my favorite homemade keto bread recipe to make. I've had nothing but amazing feedback from people who have made them. One of the keys to success on keto is having a wide variety of bread substitutes like my white bread, cheddar biscuits, and these keto bread rolls.
For anyone following a low carb diet, bread is by far one of the hardest things to give up. It's the food we all crave and miss the most. Just the smell of freshly baked bread alone can be the reason lots of people fail when it comes to keto.
That's why everyone MUST learn how to make these keto bread rolls. You really won't believe just how good these dinner rolls are. They're also so easy to make (6 ingredients and 30 minutes) and so versatile.
I've been making this low carb rolls recipe for years and have totally perfected it. I still can't get over how much they taste like actual bread rolls. No grains or yeast are required, and you won't notice at all.
They have a soft outer crust with a fluffy texture on the inside. No cheesy, eggy, or almond flour flavor like other keto bread recipes. They aren't sticky and hold their shape as well.
Make these rolls for your next dinner party as an appetizer or side, and nobody will believe that they're low carb!
How Do You Make Keto Rolls?
My light and fluffy keto bread roll recipe only call for 6 simple ingredients. You'll need the following:
- Mozzarella cheese - you'll need low-moisture mozzarella cheese for these bread rolls. Mozzarella is best because of its mild flavor, but you can substitute it for cheddar cheese if you only have that available.
- Cream cheese - full-fat cream cheese that has softened at room temperature. Alternatively, substitute for dairy-free cream cheese.
- Almond flour - you'll need blanched almond flour or very fine almond flour for these bread rolls. Make sure you don't use almond meal, or your rolls won't be as fluffy.
- Coconut flour - you'll also need coconut flour to combine with the almond flour for the dough.
- Baking powder - although it's optional, we recommend using baking powder to help the rolls rise and make them extra fluffy!
- Eggs - free-range eggs at room temperature. You'll use eggs in the dough and as a wash to brush over the rolls to give them that lovely shine.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder, then set aside.
- Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a double boiler and melt over low heat. Alternatively, microwave the mixture in a covered microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Let the mixture cool.
- Once the cheese mixture is not too hot, add two eggs. Fold the flour mixture and transfer everything into a food processor or blender. Process or blend until you get a smooth and sticky dough.
- Place the mixture into a plastic food bag or plastic wrap and roll into a ball, then divide into 8 pieces.
- Lightly oil your hands with a few drops of vegetable oil and rolls the 8 pieces of dough into balls.
- Place the dough balls on the prepared baking pan leaving at least 2 inches between each so that they can expand.
- Take a small mixing bowl and make the egg wash. Whisk the remaining egg and brush the top of each dough ball with a pastry brush.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake the rolls for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Keto Dinner Rolls
- Best enjoyed warm. These rolls are very dense, so they need to be eaten warm (even at room temperature). Pop them in the microwave or oven until warm.
- Take care when adding the eggs. After melting the cheese, let it cool for a while. If the cheese mixture is too hot, the eggs will start to cook, so it's essential to let it cool down.
Low Carb Rolls Variations
- Mini-burgers and sliders. These rolls are a great keto-friendly substitute for burgers and sliders. Warm and toast them slightly, then add your fillings for the perfect keto burger or slider.
- Brush with melted butter. Brush the rolls with melted butter before popping them in the oven to bake. They'll come out golden, soak up all the delicious buttery flavor and become more tender and moist.
- Brush with an egg wash. A great way to add a golden shine to your rolls without extra calories is to use an egg wash. Brushing with egg yolk will make them brown. The egg white will make them shinier, or a whole egg for both. You might need to add water to your egg wash to give it a brushable consistency.
- Herb and garlic dinner rolls. Brush the uncooked rolls with melted butter and top with crushed garlic, fresh or dried herbs, flaky sea salt, or any combination.
Storing Almond Flour Rolls
- In the fridge: Any leftover keto rolls can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- In the freezer: You can freeze these low-carb dinner rolls if you want to make a large batch. Wait for the rolls to cool, place them in a freezer-proof ziplock bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 6 months. Make sure you thaw the rolls before reheating them.
- To reheat: We recommend reheating these rolls as they are pretty dense at room temperature. Place them in the microwave for around 30 seconds or place them in the oven until warm all the way through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Them Using Only Almond Flour or Coconut Flour?
Yes, you can make these bread rolls using just one type of flour. The ratio is 1:4 coconut flour to almond flour.
So, to make them using only almond flour, you'll need to add another half a cup of almond flour.
To make them using only coconut flour, you'll need to substitute the almond flour with ⅓ cup of coconut flour.
More Keto Bread Recipes You'll Love
We have a wide range of keto bread alternatives that you can enjoy on your ketogenic diet! Here are some of our favorites:
Keto Rolls Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a double boiler and melt over low heat. Alternatively, microwave the mixture for 30 seconds, covered.
- Make sure the cheese mixture is not too hot, and add two eggs. Fold in the flour mixture and transfer in a food processor or blender. Process to get a smooth but sticky dough.
- Place the mixture in a plastic food bag (or plastic wrap/saran wrap) and roll it into a ball.
- Divide into 8 pieces. If the dough is too sticky to work with, lightly oil your hands with a few drops of vegetable oil and roll each piece into a ball.
- Place the dough balls on the prepared baking pan, leaving about 2 inches of room to expand.
- For the egg wash, whisk the remaining egg and brush the top of each roll with a pastry brush.
- Bake rolls for about 15-20 minutes until the rolls are golden brown and serve hot.