Keto halloumi fries have a crispy crunch, a soft and chewy center, and a spicy paprika almond flour coating. Made with 4 ingredients, they're an excellent low-carb appetizer or party food with sour cream or yogurt dip. Only 0.8 grams of net carbs per serving!
Table of Contents
Craving fries on your low-carb diet? We all love potato and sweet potato fries, but their carb content makes them impossible to fit into a keto diet.
Have no fear—introducing easy 4 ingredient keto halloumi fries! They have a crispy crunch with a soft, chewy, cheesy center coated in spicy paprika and almond flour to create the perfect side or appetizer. Quick and easy to make, they're also a great choice when you need a delicious snack!
But are halloumi fries keto? Yes—each serving of 4 fries has just 0.8 grams of net carbs. They're also gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly!
What Is Halloumi Cheese?
Halloumi cheese is a good source of protein and calcium, so it fuels you with good nutrients while you enjoy its squeaky, crunchy texture. Made from goat and sheep's milk, it's a semi-hard cheese perfect for frying or grilling.
Fried halloumi cheese works great because it has a high melting point, making it the ideal cheese for frying and holding its shape. This also makes it a very popular meat substitute for vegetarians or those wanting to reduce their meat intake.
Keto Halloumi Fries Ingredients
These keto halloumi fries are incredibly simple to make and only call for four ingredients. You'll need the following ingredients:
- Halloumi - Fresh halloumi cheese sliced into thick fries.
- Almond flour - Used to coat the fries to give them a crispy outer layer. You can substitute for other keto-friendly flour, like coconut flour.
- Oil - I used sunflower oil, but you can use any mild vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
- Smoked paprika - Adds a smoky and spicy kick to the fries.
How to Make Keto Halloumi Fries
We'll make pan-fried keto halloumi fries in this recipe, but you can also bake or deep fry them. This recipe makes around 6 servings of 4 halloumi fries, depending on how thick you cut the cheese. So, grab your ingredients and follow the easy steps below!
Step one: Cut the fries: To get started, cut the halloumi cheese into fry-like shapes. I like making thick slices, so you get a delicious chewy bite each time.
Step two: Prepare the coating: In a small mixing bowl, combine the paprika and almond flour. Roll the halloumi fries in the paprika mixture so that they're coated evenly.
Step three: Cook the fries: Heat the sunflower oil over medium heat in a wide pan and fry the halloumi fries until golden brown. This should take around 2-3 minutes, and you'll want to keep turning them to ensure they're evenly cooked.
Step four: Remove excess oil and season: Transfer the keto halloumi fries onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb all the excess oil. Sprinkle the fries with salt and serve hot with your favorite low-carb dip. These delicious halloumi fries go well with full-fat sour cream and low-carb Greek yogurt!
- In the fridge: Leftover halloumi fries can be placed in an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: You can reheat the fries by pan-frying them in a bit of oil, in the oven, or in an air fryer until heated through and crispy again.
More Cheesy Appetizers and Sides
- Goat Cheese Croquettes - Stuffed with two types of cheese for a perfectly crispy outside and soft and gooey inside that everyone will love!
- Cheesy Roasted Green Beans - coated with creamy garlic sauce and topped with Parmesan and Mozzarella, then perfectly roasted until golden brown – the BEST side dish!
- Feta Stuffed Mushrooms - Classic stuffed button mushrooms loaded with bacon, spring onions, and feta cheese.
- Green Bean Fries - Crispy, crunchy, and perfect with just about any dip!
Keto Halloumi Fries Recipe
- 1 lb Halloumi Cheese cut into fries
- 4 tablespoon Almond Flour
- 2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ cup Sunflower Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour with the paprika.
- Coat the Halloumi sticks evenly with the mixture.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wide pan and fry the sticks for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and evenly cooked.
- Transfer on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil and sprinkle with salt. Serve hot.