Easy goat cheese croquettes will turn any cheese leftovers into something delicious and keto-friendly! Goat cheese and pecorino are an excellent choice, but you can substitute the pecorino with parmesan cheese if you prefer.
The recipe could also work with all types of blue cheese as well. They are even better the day after, so make a big batch and gently reheat them in a dry pan. Great for meal prepping too!
Are Croquettes Keto-Friendly?
Croquettes are a versatile and delicious invention that can be enjoyed as an appetizer, snack, side dish or breakfast.
They can be filled with almost anything! From ground meats, leftovers, potatoes and other vegetables.
Traditional croquettes are made with potato, bread crumbs or flour which are loaded with carbs. We all know that is a big no-no on the ketogenic diet!
However, croquettes can easily be made keto-friendly by using almond flour and low carb fillings. Our goat cheese croquettes are made with almond flour and contain only 0.8g net carbs each!
Ingredients in Goat Cheese Croquettes
You can find the detailed measurements and ingredients on the recipe card below.
- Cheese - Our recipe uses goat cheese and pecorino cheese. Feel free to substitute Parmesan for the pecorino. This recipe also works with provolone, cheddar and blue cheeses as well.
- Flour - Because this recipe is keto-friendly we will be using almond flour instead of traditional high carb flours.
- Egg - We'll use one beaten egg as the binder to our almond flour.
- Seasonings - You'll need some thyme and black pepper. Feel free to add any of your other favorite seasonings because this recipe is very versatile.
- Oil - Olive oil for frying the croquettes. We won't deep fry the croquettes to make them more healthy.
- Toppings - These go great drizzled with balsamic vinegar cream. Feel free to use any low carb alternatives!
How to Make Cheese Croquettes
First, grab a large mixing bowl and combine the goat cheese with the grated pecorino, thyme and black pepper. Knead with your hands to create a dough. Shape the dough into rectangular pieces.
Prepare two small bowls, one with a beaten egg and one with the almond flour. Now it's time to 'bread' the croquettes!
Coat each rectangular croquette in the whisked egg and then roll in the almond flour. Make sure to coat them evenly. Let's get frying!
Place the olive oil in a pan over high heat and fry the croquette for around a minute. Rotate while frying so that each side is golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining croquettes and add extra olive oil if needed.
Place them on a paper towel and allow to cool slightly. Serve hot, drizzled with balsamic vinegar cream.
Other Easy Sides
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Please leave a comment below to let us know how they turned out. You might also like to try our:
- Oven Roasted Green Beans with Cheese
- Maple Bacon Wrapped Carrots
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Baked Zucchini Balls
Goat Cheese Croquettes Recipe
- 1 cup Goat Cheese
- ¼ cup Pecorino Cheese (or Parmesan) grated
- 4 tablespoon Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar Cream
- 1 large Egg
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine the goat cheese with the grated pecorino (or parmesan), thyme and black pepper. Knead with your hands to create a dough and shape into oblong pieces.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and place the almond flour in another.
- Roll the croquettes into the egg and then into the flour, coating each piece evenly.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the croquettes for a minute each tossing to cook on all sides.
- Serve hot, drizzled with balsamic vinegar cream.