Cloud eggs are a delicious new way to enjoy eggs made with just 2 ingredients! Light and airy egg whites baked into golden nests to hold perfectly cooked yolks. Add your favorite seasonings and toppings for a delightful combination of textures and flavors.
This low-carb and keto-friendly dish is easy to make and will impress your breakfast or brunch guests. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can create these beautiful cloud eggs that are as pleasing to the eye as they are to the palate. You can add additional seasonings or toppings to the cloud eggs, such as grated cheese, diced cooked bacon, or sautéed vegetables, before baking them for added flavor and variety. These cloud eggs are best served fresh from the oven. They may deflate slightly as they cool, but they will still be delicious. Get ready to indulge in a fluffy breakfast treat!
Table of Contents
Cloud eggs are a delicious and innovative way of enjoying eggs at any time of day. Keto cloud eggs are light and fluffy, with egg whites creating the ideal nest for a perfectly cooked egg yolk on top. Simple ingredients and a little effort are all that’s needed to whip up these cloud eggs, and it will likely be your go-to keto breakfast once you’ve tasted a bite!
Our recipe takes just 20 minutes from the first egg being cracked to all four nests being served up. This may be longer than cooking standard sunny-side-up or hard-boiled eggs, but it’s such an imaginative way of recreating a store cupboard staple. Don’t be afraid to play with the flavor combinations of these keto cloud eggs, too, as this is a great recipe to liven up with some meat, cheese, or even sautéed veggies.
These eggs are the ideal component of a keto breakfast, and honestly, this is one of the best ways to eat eggs! Light, airy, but indulgent, keto cloud eggs taste like a treat, but with minimal carbohydrates. Once removed from the oven, the eggs may deflate slightly, so it’s best to dive in when fresh from the oven. Even if the cloud eggs lose a little fluffiness from oven to table, the flavor and variety of textures will remain.
- Eggs: There must be hundreds of uses for the humble egg, and in our keto cloud eggs recipe, they are given a whimsical twist. Each full egg represents one cloud egg, and both the white and yolk are needed to achieve the light and silky texture. Organic eggs are a great choice as they come from hens who have a varied diet, typically leading to better-tasting eggs.
- Salt And Pepper: No savory recipe would be complete without a little classic seasoning in the form of salt and pepper. Seasoning food is personal to each palate, so when adding a sprinkle of each to the cloud eggs, season to taste.
- Optional Herbs: Keto cloud eggs are perfect just as they are, but there’s no harm in adding a garnish for a pop of color, texture, and flavor! Finely chopped fresh chives, dill, or parsley are all great matches for the eggs, so play around and explore some different herby flavor combinations.
How To Make Keto Cloud Eggs
A handful of simple ingredients and 20 minutes are all it takes to create the most decadent, airy keto cloud eggs. An electric mixer makes things easier and cuts the time down even more, but whisking by hand can create the same results with some elbow grease!
Step one: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with baking paper or a silicone baking mat.
Step two: Crack open the eggs, separating the white from the yolks. Take care to ensure there’s no shell in the eggs or any yolk mixed in with the whites.
Step three: Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. This can also be done by hand in a mixing bowl with a hand whisk.
Step four: Gently fold salt and pepper into the eggs before spooning the whipped whites onto the baking sheet, creating soft, fluffy clouds. Create a well in the middle of each cloud using the back of a spoon.
Step five: Place the eggs into the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the whites have transformed into lightly golden nests.
Step six: Take the baking sheet out of the oven and place an egg yolk into each well. Be careful only to put the yolk into the center, as this will have the best cloud egg effect.
Step seven: Return the eggs to the oven for 3-4 minutes until the yolks are just set. Then, take the tray out of the oven and allow the eggs to cool for a minute or so.
Step eight: Garnish the cloud eggs with fresh herbs and serve them while they are warm and aerated, as they will deflate over time.
Tips And Variations
Keto Cloud Eggs With Chilli: Having fun in the kitchen is one of the best ways to make friends with cooking, and adding a little heat to recipes keeps your tastebuds on their toes, too! After gently placing an egg yolk in the center of the egg white nests, sprinkle over some dried chili flakes. Once the yolks have set and the keto cloud eggs are complete, you can enjoy the fiery, scarlet-speckled yolk.
Keto Cloud Eggs With Cheese And Bacon: Finely chopping cooked bacon and grating some cheese into the egg white nests is a fantastic way of adding flavor, texture, and color to the cloud eggs. Even a little cheese grated over the egg yolk before the eggs are returned to the oven makes for a delicious alternative way of enjoying our recipe.
Stovetop Keto Cloud Eggs: Baking the cloud eggs in the oven is the best way to achieve a light and fluffy texture, but it’s possible to achieve similar results on the stove if you can’t use an oven. Separate the eggs, whisk the whites as normal, and then place the nests in an oiled pan on the stove. Cover the eggs with a lid and allow them to cook for a few minutes before adding the egg yolk to the center of each nest. Cover again until the yolk is set, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Are My Keto Cloud Eggs So Flat?
Keto cloud eggs might be a little flat if they weren’t whisked enough or if it’s been quite some time since they were removed from the oven. Adding salt to the eggs while whipping them can help them gain more structure. Eating the cloud eggs fresh from the oven is the best way to enjoy them while they are structured and fluffy.
Can I Mix Cloud Eggs By Hand?
It’s possible to mix cloud eggs by hand. Just be sure to use a decent-sized bowl and a whisk for the most impressive results. An electric mixer makes things substantially easier, but if you don’t have one to hand, a whisk is fine to use but may take a few extra minutes.
Do Keto Cloud Eggs Keep Well?
It’s best to make keto cloud eggs as and when you want to serve them, as they don’t keep very well over time. Freshly whipping them up only takes 20 minutes and will guarantee a fluffy result with the egg whites.
Keto Cloud Eggs Recipe
- 4 medium Eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs such as chives, dill, or parsley optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks, ensuring that there is no yolk mixed in with the whites.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. This can be done using an electric mixer or by hand.
- Season the egg whites with salt and pepper, gently folding them in.
- Spoon the whipped egg whites onto the prepared baking sheet, creating mounds or nests.
- Make a well in the center of each egg white mound using the back of a spoon.
- Carefully transfer the baking sheet to the preheated oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes until the egg whites are lightly golden.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully place an egg yolk into each well.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 3-4 minutes until the yolks are just set.
- Remove from the oven and let the cloud eggs cool for a minute or two.
- Optionally, garnish with fresh herbs and serve the cloud eggs immediately while they are still warm.