My homemade keto baked chicken recipe makes the most juicy and tender chicken you'll ever eat! It's incredibly easy to make and so versatile using your favorite herbs and spices.
Table of Contents
Baked chicken is such an excellent option for a healthy meal. It's loaded with protein and extremely low in carbs.
This recipe will become one of your go-to healthy dinners you'll make again and again!
I make this chicken at least once a week because it's quick, easy, healthy and so versatile. It goes with almost any of your favorite side dishes and the leftovers can be used in so ways as well!
Try it with my loaded cauliflower mash and cheesy roasted green beans for a delicious weeknight dinner!
Tired of the taste? Simply change up the herbs and spices and it never gets bland.
Why You'll Love It
- Each serving has just 2.4g net carbs!!
- Super easy to make with 5 mins prep
- Very versatile using your favorite herbs and spices
Easy and Delicious
My oven-baked whole chicken has a delicious but straight forward flavor with olive oil, rosemary and garlic.
It's baked in chicken stock infused with garlic for even more flavor.
The secret to making it super juicy is to keep it covered for the first 45 minutes of cooking.
Baked chicken is a perfect choice for almost any weight loss diet. Whether you're going low carb, keto or paleo it will become one of those recipes you make time and time again.
Use leftovers to make salads, snacks, low carb wraps and a wide variety of other dishes. This go-to keto chicken recipe is a great choice for meal preppers too!
Ingredients You'll Need
Like I mentioned earlier, this recipe is simple and versatile. You'll need:
- A whole chicken
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock cube
- Optional - fresh limes and Greek yogurt
Feel free to mix up the herbs and spices to your own taste!
How To Make It
Clean the chicken. The first step I always like to take when making a baked whole chicken is the check it is thoroughly cleaned. Simply put on some plastic gloves and clean the chicken under running water to make sure the outer and inner cavity is properly cleaned.
Preheat your oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) and grab a baking dish. Place your cleaned whole chicken inside.
In a small bowl mix together the rosemary, salt and olive oil. Massage the mixture over the entire chicken making sure it's evenly covered.
In another small bowl prepare your chicken stock cube with water. Cut your garlic bulb in half and place it into the baking dish.
Pour the chicken stock mixture into the baking dish and we're ready to bake!
Cover the baking dish with foil and place it into your preheated oven for 45 minutes. This is the secret for a succulent, moist and juicy chicken! By keeping it covered for the first part of the baking process it keeps all the moisture inside.
After 45 minutes, remove the foil from the baking dish. You'll notice a sauce has formed into the bottom of the baking dish and that will keep the chicken moist while it continues to bake. By removing the foil we'll also let the outer skin get nice and crispy.
Use a spoon or ladle to pour the sauce over the whole chicken every 10 minutes while it continues to cook. Check the baking times below.
Let the chicken rest before slicing and serving with your favorite sides. For a simple option, serve with Greek yogurt and sliced limes. Enjoy!
How Long To Bake?
Depending on the size of your chicken it should take around 1 ½ hours total for a 2.2-pound chicken.
You can use a meat thermometer and check the internal temperature as well. Once it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius) the chicken is cooked
In the fridge: Leftover chicken should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 5 days.
For meal prep: This chicken recipe is great for meal prepping! Portion it into containers with sides or roasted/steamed vegetables and freeze. Pop them in the fridge overnight to thaw and you have a quick, easy and healthy lunch!
Like I mentioned, this baked whole chicken goes so well with almost any sides. Here are some of my favorites:
Best Keto Baked Chicken Recipe
- 3 lb Whole Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cube Chicken Broth
- 1 bulb Garlic
- 2 Fresh Limes optional
- 5 oz Greek Yogurt unsweetened, optional
- Firstly, make sure that the chicken is clean inside. Some chicken will come pre-cleaned but make sure to check. If needed wear some plastic gloves and clean the chicken with running water. It will take just two minutes.
- Start by preheating your oven to 200°C / 390°F.
- Place the whole chicken into a baking dish. Mix together the olive oil, salt and rosemary then massage the mixture over the entire chicken. Cut the garlic bulb in half and place it into the baking dish next to the chicken.
- In a small bowl mix together the chicken broth cube with some water and then pour it into the baking dish.
- Now the chicken is ready to bake. To keep it moist inside cover the baking dish with foil and then place it into the oven for 45 minutes. We'll remove the foil afterward to allow the skin to become nice and crispy.
- After 45 minutes, remove the foil from the baking dish. A sauce will have formed in the bottom of the baking dish and we'll be using this to pour over the chicken every 10 minutes until it's ready. Simply use a spoon or ladle to pour the sauce over the chicken every 10 minutes.
- Depending on the size of the chicken you will need to continue baking for around another 45 minutes. A 2.2-pound chicken should take around 1 ½ hours. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature is 165°F / 75°C to make sure the chicken is properly cooked.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with lime wedges and your favorite Greek yogurt. This baked chicken recipe goes great with so many low carb keto side dishes.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Rate this recipe
Share your recipe by tagging @keto.diet.yum with hashtag #ketodietyum on Instagram - everyone would love to see it!
Leave a review or ask a question