This cheesy zucchini casserole is a keto-friendly casserole that is perfect for dinner. Crispy on the outside, with a creamy cheesy inside packed with mozzarella, feta cheese and fresh zucchini.
Table of Contents
Low Carb Zucchini Casserole
We LOVE keto zucchini recipes and this healthy zucchini casserole is one of our favorites.
This cheesy keto zucchini casserole is crispy on the outside, and creamy and cheesy on the inside. Naturally, zucchini casseroles can be made with any type of cheese as long as it’s combined with a liquid element.
In this casserole we used sour cream, feta and mozzarella cheese. The sour cream provides a great texture and tang while the feta cheese turns rich and buttery in the oven. Mozzarella was added as it pairs well with basically anything and melts really well into this mouth-watering casserole dish.
Why You'll Love Keto Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- Crispy, creamy and loaded with cheese!
- Healthy ingredients
- Only 7.1 grams of net carbs!!
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole Ingredients
This delicious low carb zucchini casserole only requires 9 ingredients to make. For the full ingredient amounts and details check out the recipe card below.
- Sour cream
- Red onion
How To Make Baked Zucchini Casserole
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius) and grease a baking dish with butter.
Cut the zucchini into ¼ inch thick slices, place them in a strainer and season them with salt. Set aside while you follow the next steps as the salt extracts excess water.
Roughly slice the onion and heat butter in a saucepan over a medium high heat. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, then add the minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute until fragrant and then pour in the sour cream.
Simmer for another 2-3 minutes over medium heat and then turn off the heat. Add the feta and mozzarella cheese and stir them into the mixture.
Pat the zucchini slices dry with a paper towel or cloth. Lay the zucchini slices into the greased baking dish.
Next, pour over the cheesy sauce mixture.
Bake the zucchini casserole for around 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown. Slice and serve hot directly from the oven.
In the fridge: Any leftover keto zucchini casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat it in the oven or microwave when you're ready to eat it.
Do not freeze: Unfortunately, you cannot freeze a zucchini casserole because of the high water content.
More Keto Zucchini Recipes
- 4 large Zucchinis cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese hard, shredded
- 1 medium Red Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease a baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- Place the zucchini slices in a strainer and season with salt. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients to help extract any unwanted liquids.
- Roughly slice the onions and heat the butter in a saucepan. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes, then mince and add the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute until fragrant and pour in the sour cream. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat off and add the feta and mozzarella cheese. Stir to melt into a sauce.
- Pat the zucchini slices dry with a piece of absorbent paper.
- Lay the zucchini slices into the prepared baking dish. Pour in the sauce and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown. Serve hot, straight from the oven.