These delicious zucchini hash browns are a more healthy and low carb version of traditional hash browns. They are made with zucchini, eggs, garlic, butter, parmesan cheese and salt.
We all love potato hash browns but unfortunately, they're loaded with carbs. That's where our keto hash browns recipe comes in!
Easy to make and delicious, zucchini hash browns are a great breakfast, brunch or side dish. They're low in carbohydrates which is perfect for the keto diet. You can enjoy them any time of the day!
Table of Contents
Is Zucchini Keto?
Zucchini is a popular summer crop that has a wide range of healthy uses. It's a great way to get more vegetables into your diet while still being tasty.
But is zucchini low carb? In case you haven't already guessed, yes it is!
Even though it does contain carbohydrates it is relatively low in net carbs. It is one of the best keto friendly vegetables to include in your ketogenic diet meal plan.
Total Number of Net Carbs in Zucchini
A cup serving of raw zucchini has 3.9 grams of total carbs and 1.3 grams of fiber. So the total net carbs in zucchini are only 2.6 grams per cup.
The Benefits of Zucchini
Zucchini is a very healthy vegetable that is packed with nutrients. It contains a significant amount of vitamins C, K, B6, riboflavin and folate, as well as minerals manganese and potassium. 
Some other reasons you'll want to add it to your diet are:
- Improves digestion
- Slows down aging
- Lowers blood sugar levels
- Improves heart health and circulation
- Improves eye health
- Boosts energy
- Aids weight loss
Ingredients You'll Need
Like we mentioned earlier, this recipe is really easy to make and only requires 6 simple ingredients. For the full amounts check the recipe card below. You'll need:
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Low Carb Hash Browns
To make our zucchini hash browns start by coarsely shredding around 1.5 pounds or 4 cups of zucchini into a medium bowl. Next, add the salt and let it sit for 15 minutes to help remove some of the water content.
The next step is to squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini mixture with your hands. After that add the eggs, parmesan cheese and minced garlic (or garlic powder). Thoroughly combine everything together with your hands until it reaches a batter-like consistency.
Next, take a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Take 2 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture and flatten them into the skillet to form a patty. Fill the skillet with as many patties as you can without overcrowding them, and you can always make them in batches.
Cook the low carb hash browns until they're golden on both sides, turning once during cooking. This should take around 6-8 minutes, but everyone's skillet and cooktop are different. Repeat in batches until you've used the entire mixture. You may need to add more butter to the skillet which is why the recipe calls for 4 tablespoons.
As we mentioned above, zucchini hash browns are loaded with nutrients and are relatively low in carbs. You can check the recipe card below for a complete nutrition breakdown, but here are the highlights:
- 269.5 total calories
- 10 grams of fat
- 1.9 grams of fiber
- 7.3 grams of protein
- 3.6 grams of net carbs
Keto Zucchini Hash Browns
- 1.5 lb Zucchini
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Egg
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 2 cloves Garlic minced or pressed
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- Coarsely shred the zucchini (about 4 cups) into a medium bowl, add salt and let it stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze excess moisture with hands.
- Squeeze out the excess water with your hands.
- Add the eggs, parmesan cheese and minced garlic. Combine everything together until you get a batter.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture and flatten them in the skillet to form a patty. Add as many patties as you can fit in the skillet, but avoid overcrowding.
- Cook until golden brown on each side turning once. This should take around 6 to 8 minutes.
- Repeat until mixture is finished, add more butter to the skillet if needed. Enjoy hot!
Readers also love
Widget not in any sidebars