The BEST gluten free French toast recipe! Ready in 15 minutes with 7 ingredients you probably have at home. With 2g carbs per slice, it's also a fantastic keto French toast option!
Table of Contents
Best Gluten Free and Keto French Toast
Are you looking for a delicious breakfast that is not only gluten free but also keto-friendly and low carb? Look no further than this amazing recipe for gluten free French toast! It's perfect for those who want to indulge in a sweet and savory breakfast without compromising their dietary restrictions. It can easily be made dairy free as well.
With its crispy exterior and soft, fluffy interior, this keto French toast will have you savoring every bite. Even better, each slice has only 2g of net carbs! You can whip up the most delectable French toast in under 15 minutes and you probably already have all the ingredients on hand.
Whether you're looking for a hearty gluten free or low carb breakfast, brunch, or even dessert, you can't go wrong with this recipe.
Benefits of Homemade French Toast
Keto French toast is a nutritious breakfast option safe for those on a gluten free, low carb, or ketogenic diet. This recipe uses either almond flour or coconut flour, making it a healthier option than traditional French toast recipes. The butter and heavy cream can be substituted for coconut oil and coconut cream to make it dairy free.
Keto French Toast Ingredients
- Butter - Melted at room temperature or substitute for coconut oil.
- Heavy cream - At room temperature, it can be substituted for coconut cream.
- Egg - For the base and French toast coating.
- Coconut flour - Use a super fine variety. Substitute for very fine almond flour.
- Baking powder - To help make the French toast fluffy.
- Cinnamon - You can also use pumpkin spice, apple pie spice, allspice, clove, and nutmeg.
- Vanilla - Opt for a high-quality vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Optional - Powdered sugar-free sweeteners like Erythritol and fresh low carb fruit.
How To Make Gluten Free French Toast
This recipe couldn't be easier to make! Bake the egg, cream, and coconut flour base, let it cool, then cut it into toast-like slices. Dip each piece in the creamy coating and fry until golden for an irresistible combination of crunchy outside and soft inside deliciousness. So, grab your ingredients and get ready to whip up the most French toast ever!
- Prep the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) and prepare an oven-proof dish or pan.
- Prep the base. Whisk the melted butter, heavy cream, egg, coconut flour, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Pour the mixture into the oven dish.
- Bake the base. Transfer the dish to the oven and cook for 10 minutes until set.
- Rest the base. Once cooked, remove from the oven and rest until it reaches room temperature.
- Cut into slices. Once the base has reached room temperature, cut it into four pieces that resemble French toast.
- Prep the coating. Whisk the egg, heavy cream, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a tiny pinch of sea salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Fry the French toast. Heat the butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Dip each French toast slice in the coating mixture and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Optionally sprinkle over powdered Erythritol and slices of low carb fruit.
- In the fridge: Keep leftover French toast in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 2 to 3 days—Reheat in a hot skillet, non-stick pan, or microwave.
- In the freezer: Line a baking tray with baking paper and flash-freeze the French toast until solid. Transfer to a freezer-proof bag or container and it will keep for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge overnight before reheating.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Gluten Free French Toast Recipe (Keto & Low Carb)
For the Base
- 2 tablespoon Butter melted
- 2 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1 medium Egg beaten
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
For the Coating
- 1 medium Egg
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoon Butter to fry
- Powdered Sugar-Free Sweetener
- Fresh Low-Carb Fruit to serve
For the Base
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Whisk the melted butter with the heavy cream, egg, coconut flour, and baking powder in an oven-proof dish or pan.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until set. Allow the base to reach room temperature before cutting into slices that resemble French toast.
For the Coating
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the egg with the heavy cream, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Add a tiny pinch of sea salt and whisk.
To Assemble the Keto French Toast
- Dip the base slices into the mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and fry the French toast slices for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.
- Serve hot, optionally sprinkled with powdered Erythritol and garnished with fresh, seasonal, low-carb fruit.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Rate this recipe
Share your recipe by tagging @keto.diet.yum with hashtag #ketodietyum on Instagram - everyone would love to see it!
You really do a nice job in all areas including the web page and how the article is written, the pictures look eatable. Have read your keto diet website for a while, very glad you are doing this.
Hi Renee! Thank you so much for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the recipes!