Craving fries on your low-carb diet?
We all love chips and sweet potato fries but the carb content they contain makes them impossible to fit into a keto diet.
Have no fear — introducing halloumi fries!
A crispy crunch, soft and chewy cheese coated in spicy paprika and almond flour to create the perfect side or appetizer. Quick and easy to make, they’re a great choice on those days you need a delicious snack too!
Halloumi cheese is a good source of protein and calcium so it fuels you with good nutrients while you enjoy its squeaky, crunchy texture. Made from goat and sheep’s milk, it’s a semi-hard cheese that is perfect for frying or grilling.
Fried halloumi cheese works great because it has a high melting point making it the ideal cheese for frying and holding its shape. This also makes it a very popular meat substitute for vegetarians or those wanting to cut down on their meat intake.
How to Make Halloumi Fries
We’ll be using pan-fried halloumi for this recipe but you can also bake or make them deep-fried. To get started, cut the halloumi cheese into fry-like shapes. I like to make thick slices so that you get a delicious chewy bite each time.
In a small mixing bowl combine the paprika and almond flour. Roll the halloumi fries in the paprika mixture so that they’re coated evenly.
In a wide pan heat your sunflower oil over medium heat and fry the halloumi fries until golden brown. This should take around 2-3 minutes and you’ll want to keep turning them to make sure they’re evenly cooked.
Transfer the halloumi fries onto a plate lined with kitchen paper/paper towel to absorb all the excess oil. Sprinkle the fries with salt and serve hot with your favorite low-carb dip. Full-fat sour cream and low-carb Greek yogurt go well with these delicious halloumi fries!
More Cheesy Low-Carb Appetizers and Sides
- Goat Cheese Croquettes – Stuffed with two types of cheese for a perfectly crispy outside and soft and gooey inside that everyone will love!
- Cheesy Roasted Green Beans – coated with creamy garlic sauce and topped with Parmesan and Mozzarella then perfectly roasted until golden brown – the BEST side dish!
- Feta Stuffed Mushrooms – Classic stuffed button mushrooms loaded with bacon, spring onions and feta cheese.
- 1 lb Halloumi Cheese cut into fries
- 4 tbsp Almond Flour
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- In a small mixing bowl combine the flour with the paprika.
- Coat the Halloumi sticks evenly with the mixture.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wide pan and fry the sticks for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and evenly cooked.
- Transfer on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil and sprinkle with salt. Serve hot.