Here's the best keto bread recipe for white and fluffy bread! This simple, easy, and delicious keto bread loaf takes less than 35 minutes using 5 ingredients.
Table of Contents
I've been on the search for a recipe for low carb bread, and after lots and lots of testing, I've finally found made it!
This recipe for keto bread makes a classic white loaf of bread that goes well with everything.
It’s the kind of bread that doesn’t need to be adorned with toppings. It’s delicious and filling even when eaten plain.
Having said that, there are so many ways to enjoy it! Add a slick of butter, sugar-free jam, or savory toppings to make a glorious low carb sandwich.
It also toasts wonderfully topped with your favorite nut butter.
I saved a few slices to make croutons for my salads! The result (fried in olive oil with rosemary and garlic) was out of this world incredible.
Why You'll Love It
- 2g net carbs in each slice
- Low in calories with only 79 calories in each slice
- Only 5 keto bread ingredients
- Soft and fluffy with a tender crumb
- Easy to slice without crumbling
- Toasts perfectly
- Gluten-free, grain-free, and can be easily made paleo and dairy-free
- Only 10 minutes of preparation
What is Keto Bread?
Keto bread is a replacement for regular bread (wheat bread) and is made with low carb ingredients that don't contain grains, sugar, or starch.
What is keto bread made of?
Coconut flour and egg are used to create healthy bread that is low in carbs and high in healthy fats.
It's also gluten-free and grain-free and can easily be made dairy-free by substituting butter for vegetable oil.
The problem with lots of low carb bread is that they have a dense and crumbly texture, but not mine!
The texture is soft and fluffy in the middle with a lovely tender crumb. It slices and toasts beautifully and doesn't have an eggy taste.
Can you eat bread on keto?
Traditional bread is a high-carb food and one of the first foods to give up when you start a keto diet.
Made with grains, wheat, and sugars, a single slice of standard white bread contains an average of 13 grams of carbohydrates. 
However, there is a wide variety of store-bought bread available today that you can eat on a low carb diet.
Made with low carb ingredients, carb-free bread can contain fewer than 3 grams of carbs per slice. The problem is they can be very expensive!
The good news is you can make much cheaper low carb keto bread at home with this recipe.
And, in my opinion, compared to the store-bought version, this is the best, most delicious keto bread recipe I've ever made.
How many carbs are in this keto bread?
My homemade keto bread only contains 2 grams of net carbs per slice!
Each slice also contains just 79 calories and 1.7 grams of dietary fiber, making it a great choice for losing weight.
Ingredients You'll Need
Can you believe that to make this easy keto bread, you only need 5 simple ingredients and a pinch of salt?
- Coconut flour - is the main ingredient, resulting in a wonderful texture. Use very fine coconut flour to avoid having a gritty texture. I recommend using Viva Naturals Coconut Flour. You can also substitute for almond flour at a 1:3 coconut flour to almond flour ratio. Make sure you use very fine almond flour as well.
- Butter - try to use grass-fed butter that is unsalted, and make sure it's at room temperature. If you want to make this bread paleo and dairy-free, substitute the butter for vegetable oil. Coconut oil and avocado oil both work fine.
- Eggs - we'll use large eggs, and it's important to make sure they're at room temperature. We'll separate the whites and yolks in this recipe and use the whites to form a meringue. The yolks will be combined with the other ingredients separately.
- Baking powder - it's important to use fresh baking powder so that the bread rises well. If your baking powder is old, the bread might not rise.
- Baking soda - like the baking powder, make sure it's fresh. It gives the bread its light and fluffy texture.
- Sea salt - adding a pinch of sea salt helps to balance all the different flavors. If you don't have any available, you can use table salt.
Now that you know what you need, learn how to make keto bread below!
How To Make Low Carb Bread
The low carb bread recipe has easy instructions and produces fluffy, white bread that tastes so good. If you're looking for a keto sandwich bread for sandwiches and toast, then this is definitely the recipe for you!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) and line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking paper.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and transfer them into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites for 2 to 3 minutes until they form into a soft meringue. You want to beat them into stiff peaks where they can stand straight.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks and room-temperature melted butter. Add the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
- Gently fold the egg white meringue into the mixture until it has completely incorporated. Be very careful not to overmix!
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the loaf pan from the oven.
- Let the bread rest until it reaches room temperature.
- Cut the loaf into slices. Use it to make keto-friendly sandwiches, toast, grilled cheese, or anything else you can think of!
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. You need your egg whites to form very stiff peaks for the best bread. Start by setting your electric mixer to medium speed and beat until soft peaks form (around 1 minute). Then turn the setting up to high and beat until stiff peaks form. When your egg whites are glossy and can stand straight, they're ready!
- Gently fold the batter. When folding your egg whites into the batter, be as gentle as possible. Avoid stirring the batter, and try to keep as much of the volume as you can. If you don't prepare the batter correctly, your bread will come out flat and dense.
- Oven rack position. Use a rack on the lower half of your oven to avoid an uncooked center.
- Avoid underbaking. You may find your bread is golden on top but still not cooked in the center! The last thing you want is a loaf with a mushy center. To avoid underbaking, place a piece of foil over the top of the loaf pan so that the top doesn't burn. Continue to bake until the center of the bread is cooked.
- Check the bread is cooked. To check if your bread is cooked in the center, push down in the middle of the loaf. It shouldn't make any squishy sound. If you have an internal thermometer, the internal temperature should be over 200 degrees Fahrenheit (90 degrees Celsius).
- To store at room temperature - Keep the unsliced loaf in a paper bag in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. Avoid storing it in a plastic bag because condensation will form and make the bread wet.
- To store in the refrigerator - Keep the bread in an airtight container or plastic bag and refrigerate. It will keep for at least 1 week. You don't have to worry about it going stale like traditional bread when refrigerated.
Can you freeze keto bread?
For longer-term storage, this keto bread freezes great and will keep for at least 4 months. Instead of freezing the loaf, I recommend slicing it and storing it in a freezer-proof bag or container.
When you're ready to eat the bread, you can place it in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Alternatively, pop a few slices in the toaster and toast!
Ways To Use It
As I mentioned earlier, this bread holds its own when eaten plain. But how else can you use it? Exactly the same way you use traditional bread!
- In keto sandwiches - enjoy keto sliced bread with some fresh lettuce, deli meat, crispy bacon, and some spicy garlic aioli.
- Paired with a salad - who doesn't love a slice of white bread with a creamy cauliflower salad or deviled egg salad?
- Simply toasted - toast a slice and top with your favorite nut butter and fresh fruit.
- As a side - enjoy this bread with your favorite keto dinners or soups.
- Turned into croutons - the perfect addition to soups and salads is to make croutons by frying this bread. Tear or cut the bread into cubes and fry it in a little bit of olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and salt.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use almond flour?
Yes, you can make this recipe with almond flour or a combination of both almond flour and coconut flour.
You'll need to use a 3:1 ratio of almond flour to coconut flour if you decide to use it. So it would be 3 cups of almond flour for this recipe.
Make sure you use super fine-blanched almond flour, and I always recommend using Blue Diamond Almond Flour. It's my go-to choice and is rated #1 on Amazon.
Just as a note, if you have a tree nut allergy, coconut flour is a great alternative for baking recipes.
Is it gluten-free?
Yes, the bread is made with coconut flour instead of wheat flour. None of the ingredients contain gluten, and most are naturally gluten-free.
Is it dairy-free?
No, this recipe is not dairy-free because it uses melted butter as one of the ingredients.
However, you can easily substitute the butter for vegetable oil like coconut oil or avocado oil which will make it dairy-free!
Is it paleo?
This recipe isn't paleo with my ingredients, again, because of the butter.
However, you can easily make it paleo by swapping the butter for avocado oil or unrefined ("virgin") coconut oil.
Do you have to refrigerate it?
This bread doesn't need to be refrigerated and can be stored at room temperature in a cool, dry place.
However, to prolong the life of the bread, I strongly suggest keeping it in the fridge.
More Keto Bread Recipes
I have a variety of other keto bread recipes to try! All of the recipes are easy to make and delicious.
- Keto Bread Rolls - one of our most popular recipes, soft and fluffy dinner rolls using 6 ingredients.
- Keto Egg Loaf - great for both sweet recipes savory recipes and the perfect bread for French toast, made with 5 ingredients.
- Keto Cheddar Biscuits - a golden crispy outer layer and perfectly cheesy inside, only 6 ingredients!
- Keto Focaccia Bread - Italian-style rosemary focaccia bread perfect for stews, dips, and sandwiches. I love it dipped in olive oil!
Best Keto Bread Recipe
- 1 cup Coconut Flour Viva Naturals Coconut Flour
- ¼ cup Butter melted
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking paper.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. They are ready when a meringue with stiff peaks has formed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks with the melted butter. Add the coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
- Fold in the egg whites gently to incorporate without overmixing.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pan, slice, and enjoy!
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Rate this recipe
Share your recipe by tagging @keto.diet.yum with hashtag #ketodietyum on Instagram - everyone would love to see it!
How long will this bread stay on the counter top or does it need to be in the refrigerator?
Yes, you can store the bread in a paper bag on the countertop. Keep it out of sunlight.
Make sure you don't store it in a plastic bag or condensation can form and make the bread wet.
Good morning! I am really appreciative of you posting this recipe. I have been diabetic for 30+ years and bread is one thing I still struggle with. I cannot wait to try this!! Thank you!
Glad to help!
If you get a chance try the keto bread rolls as well, I've had great feedback from bread lovers and they're only 3g carbs!