We’ve got good news! You can have keto crepes for breakfast, brunch or dessert and keep your keto diet out of harm’s way because they're low in net carbs.
Introducing keto crepes, one of my favorite low carb recipes. Easy, quick, delicious and wallet-friendly at the same time. For a truly French experience enjoy them drizzled with lemon juice and sprinkled with Erythritol. Bon appétit!
Are Crepes Keto?
Traditional crepes are loaded with carbs as they are typically made with all-purpose flour. Each crepe itself contains around 15 grams of net carbs without including the high-sugar toppings which is far from keto-friendly.
However, by substituting all-purpose flour with coconut flour, and substituting the sugar-loaded toppings for low carbohydrate varieties you are able to enjoy a delicious french crepe without the carbs. Not only are they keto-friendly but they are also a much more healthy alternative that tastes just like the real thing.
What You'll Need to Make Keto Crepes
Our low carb keto crepes recipe only calls for 7-ingredients:
- Coconut flour
- Coconut milk
- Baking powder
Keto Crepe Tips
Making the perfect crepe can be a bit of a challenge but you'll be able to master it in no time. Keep these tips in mind while following the recipe.
- The practice crepe. The first crepe is usually a practice crepe. It helps you determine the right temperature of your pan and how much batter you need to get the perfect, paper-thin crepe.
- A perfect batter. Whisking the batter together to reach a smooth consistency is crucial for delicious crepes. Allowing the batter to rest for 10 minutes before cooking helps the flour absorb all the liquid and ensures the batter will be silky smooth.
- Adjust if necessary. You might find that your batter has come out too thick. If this is the case, simply whisk in a tablespoon or two of water into the mixture to thin it out.
- Homemade coconut flour. If you don't have coconut flour on hand don't worry! You can make your own coconut flour simply by blending sugarless shredded coconut into a fine powder in a coffee grinder or food processor.
- Master the flip. The best way to flip crepes is by using your fingers. First, loosen the edges of the crepe around the pan. Next, place your spatula further under one of the raised edges and then, using your fingers, gently flip the crepe over. This is another technique you'll learn to master.
- Storage. Crepes are always best when served fresh but they will keep in the refrigerator for around 3 days. Simply place a piece of baking paper between each crepe and store them in an airtight container.
How to Make Perfect Keto Crepes
First, you'll want to grab a mixing bowl and whisk together the eggs with ¾ of the melted butter. In another bowl combine the coconut flour, Erythritol, baking powder and salt until well mixed.
Next, to make the crepe batter, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk them together until they're well combined. Allow the batter to rest for around 10 minutes so that the coconut flour can absorb all the liquids.
Grease a pan with some of the remaining butter and when it's hot add dollops of the crepe batter into the pan. Swirl the pan in a circular motion so that the batter covers the entire surface of the pan to create a thin layer.
Cook for 1-2 minutes and then carefully flip the crepe over and cook the other side as well. You'll find the second side needs less time than the first, usually just 1 minute.
Keep making more crepes until you run out of batter. Serve these easy keto crepes with low-carb fruit, drizzled with lemon and powdered Erythritol or coconut!
What to Eat With Keto Crepes
These crepes go well with so many different fillings and can even be made savory and used as wraps. They are one of the most versatile keto recipes to have in your repertoire. Here are some ideas you may like to try with this recipe:
- Keto French Crepes - The recipe we've used here is a classic French style. Simply drizzle over lemon juice and powdered Erythritol!
- Savory Keto Crepe Wraps - If you're not in the mood for something sweet you can use these crepes as a keto wrap. Simply combine your favorite meats, seasonings and keto condiments for a delicious savory snack.
- ½ cup Coconut Flour
- ¼ cup Butter melted
- ¾ cup Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup Erythritol
- 6 Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs with the milk and ¾ of the melted butter.
- In another bowl combine the coconut flour with the Erythritol, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes so that the coconut flour can absorb all the liquids. This will also help make the batter thin and smooth.
- Grease a pan with a bit of the remaining butter and when it’s hot add dollops of the crepe mixture and swirl in circular motions to cover the entire surface of the pan with the batter, to make a thin crepe layer.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip and repeat on the other side as well. The second side will take less time to cook, usually just a minute. Keep going until you run out of batter.
- Serve hot with low carb fruit, drizzled with lemon and powdered Erythritol or coconut.