Healthy coconut shrimp fried in avocado oil with layers of flavor and perfectly tender shrimp! This keto-friendly coconut shrimp recipe is low carb with just 3.3 grams of net carbs and uses only 6 ingredients.
Table of Contents
Crispy coconut shrimp is a delicious treat, perfect for parties and gatherings that require a keto friendly and easy to make appetizer or finger-food.
We added a pinch of salt and pepper to the eggs and to the shredded coconut mixture to create layers of flavor instead of just seasoning the shrimp.
It’s the little details that take a simple dish from tasty to extraordinary!
Why You'll Love Coconut Shrimp
- Only 3.3 grams of net carbs!!
- A healthy and low carb version of the classic
- Layers of flavor and tender, juicy shrimp
Keto Coconut Shrimp Ingredients
This crispy coconut shrimp recipe couldn't be easier to make and uses only 6 key ingredients:
Shrimp - you can't have coconut shrimp without shrimp! You can use fresh or frozen shrimp of any size. This recipe uses 1 pound of shrimp that are peeled and deveined with the tail on.
Eggs - you'll need two small eggs, preferably free range and at room temperature.
Coconut - you'll need shredded coconut to coat the outside of the shrimp. Make sure it's just coconut without any added sugars!
Vegetable oil - we used avocado oil in this recipe but any healthy vegetable oil will work.
Seasonings - a simple combination of garlic powder, paprika, sea salt and black pepper is all you'll need.
Optional - you can use a teaspoon of dried green onions to garnish if you like.
How To Make Low Carb Coconut Shrimp
To get started, take a shallow bowl and whisk the eggs with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Take another bowl and combine the shredded coconut, garlic powder, paprika and a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Holding the tail, dip each shrimp into the egg mixture and then into the shredded coconut mixture. Make sure each shrimp is entirely coated.
Take a frying pan and heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Fry the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes until opaque and crispy on each side.
Serve hot, optionally sprinkled with dried green onions. Enjoy!
Coconut Shrimp Storage Instructions
We recommend making coconut shrimp fresh for the perfect crisp and crunchy texture, however you can refrigerate and freeze it as well.
In the fridge: Store keto coconut shrimp in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, pop them in an air fryer or broil for a few minutes until heated through.
In the freezer: You can make bigger batches of crispy coconut shrimp and freeze them for when you need a quick appetizer or side in a hurry. Place the cooled coconut shrimp in a freezer-safe bag and freeze them where they'll keep for up to 2 months.
To reheat from the freezer you can pop them in an air fryer or bake them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) until heated through.
More Amazing Appetizer Recipes
Looking for more delicious keto appetizers? Give these recipes a try, they're sure to impress!
- 1 lb Shrimp peeled and deveined with the tail on, fresh or frozen
- 2 small Eggs
- ⅔ cup Shredded Coconut
- ½ cup Avocado Oil or other vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika mild or hot
- Sea Salt to taste
- Black Pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dried Green Onions to garnish
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In another bowl combine the shredded coconut with the garlic powder, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Dip the shrimp into the eggs and then into the shredded coconut mixture, coating each piece well, leaving out the tail.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the shrimp for 2-3 minutes until opaque and crispy on all sides.
- Serve hot, optionally sprinkled with dried green onions.