Keto Scotch Eggs are the perfect sausage and egg lunch or dinner! Hard-boiled eggs wrapped in a ground pork cheese mixture seasoned to perfection, and then baked until golden!
Table of Contents
How about a culinary trip to Scotland? Scotch eggs are a great snack on the go or a proper meal, served with a keto friendly dipping sauce and a nice salad!
I used a traditional Scottish cheese, Ayrshire Dunlop but you can use any sharp, hard cheese like parmesan if that’s easier to find.
Why You'll Love It
- Only 1.4 grams of net carbs in each Scotch egg!
- Delicious savory interior with a crispy exterior
- Can be enjoyed warm, room temperature or cold
Ingredients You'll Need
This simple Scotch egg recipe calls for just 6 key ingredients, most you'll already have at home.
- Eggs - you'll need 5 free range eggs of medium size for this recipe that will be hard-boiled.
- Ground pork - ground pork or pork sausage meat. You can also substitute with other ground meats.
- Cheese - any hard cheese such as Parmesan will work fine. Traditionally, Scotch eggs use Ayrshire Dunlop cheese but it's not necessary.
- Almond flour - helps the ground pork and cheese mixture stay together.
- Sunflower oil - drizzled over our Scotch eggs before baking to make sure they come out perfectly golden.
- Seasonings - a simple seasoning mixture of smoked paprika, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
How To Make Baked Scotch Eggs
Boil the eggs
To get started, bring a pot of water to a boil and hard boil the eggs for around 8 to 10 minutes. Peel and set aside.
Preheat the oven
Preheat your oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Make the ground pork mixture
In a mixing bowl combine the ground pork with the cheese, almond flour, smoked paprika, pinch of salt, and black pepper.
Mix until all the ingredients are well combined and then divide the mixture into 5 balls.
Flatten and fill
Wet your hands and flatten each pork ball so that it can wrap around the egg.
Place a hard boiled egg into the pork mixture and carefully wrap it around the egg pressing gently until closed
Prepare to bake
Place the Scotch eggs on the lined baking pan and drizzle each one with sunflower oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
Serve hot and enjoy!
In the fridge: Any leftover Scotch eggs can be kept in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
In the freezer: I don't recommend freezing Scotch eggs because it ruins the overall texture. However, they can be frozen to keep them longer. Let them cool to room temperature and then wrap each one in plastic film or foil. Place them in an freezer proof airtight container or bag and they'll keep for up to 3 months.
To reheat: From frozen, place the Scotch eggs in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Reheat them by placing them on a lined baking pan in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) for around 10 minutes until heated all the way through.
More Keto Ground Pork Recipes
Looking for more low carb meals you can make with ground pork? Try some of our favorites:
Keto Scotch Eggs Recipe
- 5 medium Eggs
- 2 cups Ground Pork
- ½ cup Parmesan or Ayrshire Dunlop Cheese finely grated
- 1 tablespoon Almond Flour
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- Sea Salt to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and hard boil the eggs for 8-10 minutes. Peel and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 370°F/190°C and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ground pork with the cheese, almond flour, smoked paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and divide into five balls.
- Flatten each ball with wet hands and place an egg into each piece of ground pork mixture.
- Wrap around the egg, pressing gently with your fingers to enclose the egg.
- Place the eggs on the prepared baking pan, drizzle with sunflower oil and bake on the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden. Serve hot.