Healthy Greek Moussaka is an all-time favorite around the world! Layers of eggplant and ground beef topped with a creamy egg sauce topped with a golden layer of crispy cheese – the perfect low-carb comfort food!
Table of Contents
My amazing Keto Moussaka Recipe is a low-carb take on the Greek classic! It's basically like an eggplant lasagna. With a few simple changes that make it lower in carbs it's a comforting dinner the whole family will love.
Made with layers of eggplant, ground beef and a creamy Greek yogurt egg sauce; then topped with parmesan cheese that turns golden brown and crispy in the oven.
Even the pickiest eaters will love it and it’s totally worth the oven time!
Why You'll Love It
- A hearty and comforting dinner everyone will love
- Super easy to prepare with only 10 key ingredients
- Made with healthy wholesome ingredients you can feel good about eating
What is Moussaka?
Moussaka is basically a Greek lasagna made with eggplant instead of pasta and is what I'd call the perfect comfort food.
My low carb variation of the recipe uses a creamy sauce made with Greek yogurt and eggs and is topped with Parmesan.
This traditional Greek moussaka recipe makes 8 servings containing 337 calories and only 8.3g net carbs. The total time to cook is around 30 minutes with 10 minutes prep.
Keto Moussaka Ingredients
To make this healthy low carb moussaka you'll only need 10 key ingredients. For the full ingredient amounts check the recipe card below.
- Eggplant - thinly sliced eggplant to use as lasagna-like layers.
- Ground beef - alternatively use ground lamb, pork, chicken or turkey.
- Onion - one small onion.
- Tomato puree - alternatively use tomato paste at a 1:3 puree to paste ratio. So around ⅓ cup tomato paste for this recipe.
- Greek yogurt - at room temperature.
- Eggs - room temperature free-range eggs.
- Parmesan cheese - or a mixture with mozzarella cheese.
- Olive oil - extra-virgin olive oil to brown the eggplant slices and sauté the ground beef.
- Seasonings - a simple combination of paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper is all you need.
How To Make Keto Greek Moussaka
Here are these easy to follow step-by-step instructions to make Moussaka like a pro!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
Slice the eggplants lengthwise and pat the slices dry using paper towels or a kitchen towel.
In a large pan add half the olive oil and fry the eggplant slices for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Take an ovenproof dish and add the layer of eggplant slices on the bottom. Season them with salt, black pepper and oregano, then set aside.
In the same large pan, heat the rest of the oil and sauté the ground beef and chopped onion. Season the mixture with paprika, salt and black pepper. Keep cooking for another 5 to 7 minutes while stirring.
Add the tomato puree and simmer for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Pour the ground beef mixture into the oven dish over the layer of eggplant slices.
In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and Greek yogurt seasoned with salt and black pepper.
Pour the egg mixture into the oven dish over the ground beef. Use a spatula or spoon to spread it over evenly.
Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top and place the baking dish in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
Let the keto moussaka cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into squares and serving hot! Enjoy.
I hope you enjoy this great recipe and remember to keep checking back for more!
Avoid burning the sauce - You may need to cover the moussaka with foil while it's baking to protect the sauce from burning. Keep an eye on it while it's baking and once the top is golden cover the baking dish with foil and continue baking until cooked.
In the fridge: You can store the leftover Moussaka in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It's a great recipe for your weekly meal prep, simply heat a slice up in the microwave until hot.
In the freezer: My Greek Moussaka is great for freezing too! Either freeze the whole tray or individual portions. Make sure they're in sealed freezer safe containers or tightly wrapped to prevent freezer burn.
More Keto Dinner Ideas
Looking for more comforting dinner ideas? Here are some of my favorites:
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- Creamy & Cheese Zucchini Casserole
- Healthy Garlic Butter Chicken Breasts
- Easy Greek Feta Traybake
Keto Moussaka Recipe
- 2 Eggplants sliced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Gather the ingredients and preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat half the amount of extra virgin olive oil in a wide pan and fry the eggplant slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in an ovenproof dish. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- In the same frying pan heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the ground beef with the onion, stirring for 5-7 minutes. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Add the tomato puree and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the ground meat mixture on top of the eggplant slices.
- Whisk the eggs and mix with the Greek yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the ground meat and spread evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes, covering with foil if needed to protect the sauce from burning.
- Let the Moussaka rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving hot.