This amazing Greek Moussaka Recipe is our take on the Greek classic and is like an eggplant lasagna. It has a few simple changes that make it lower in carbs so that it is more keto-friendly!
Made with layers of eggplant, ground beef and a creamy and Greek yogurt egg sauce; then topped with parmesan cheese that turns golden brown and crispy in the oven.
Even the pickiest eaters will love it and it’s totally worth the oven time!
What is Moussaka?
Moussaka is basically a Greek lasagna made with eggplant instead of pasta and is what I'd call the perfect comfort food. This low carb variation of the recipe uses a creamy sauce made with Greek yogurt and eggs and is topped with Parmesan.
Our traditional Greek moussaka recipe makes 8 servings at 440 calories each and each serving has 8.6g net carbs. The total time to cook is around 40 minutes with 10 minutes of prep time.
You can store the leftover Moussaka in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days, so you can make this recipe for your weekly meal prep.
Greek Moussaka Recipe Ingredients
- Ground beef (you could also use ground lamb)
- Tomato puree/tomato paste
- Greek yogurt
- Parmesan cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & black pepper
To Make This Easy Moussaka Recipe
Here are these easy to follow step-by-step instructions to make Moussaka like a pro!
To get started, preheat the oven to 350°F.
Next, slice your eggplants lengthwise and then pat the slices dry. Add half your olive oil to a large pan and fry the eggplant slices for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Now we'll start to assemble the Moussaka. Grab an ovenproof dish and add the layer of eggplant slices then season them with salt, black pepper and oregano, then set aside.
In the same large pan, heat the rest of the oil and sauté your minced beef and chopped onion. Season with paprika, salt and black pepper and keep stirring for around 5-7 minutes. Add the tomato puree and simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
Pour the minced beef mixture over the layer of eggplant slices. To make the sauce simply whisk the eggs (including egg yolks), Greek yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Pour the beaten egg sauce mixture over the minced beef and spread it evenly with a spatula or spoon.
Finally, sprinkle the parmesan over the top and bake for 30 minutes. You may need to cover the moussaka with foil to protect the sauce from burning so make sure to keep an eye on it! Once it's ready allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
We hope you enjoy this great recipe and remember to keep checking back for more!
Keto Moussaka Recipe
- 2 Eggplants sliced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat half the amount of extra virgin olive oil in a wide pan and fry the eggplant slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in an ovenproof dish. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- In the same frying pan heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the beef with the onion, stirring for 5-7 minutes. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Add the tomato puree and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the minced meat mixture on top of the eggplant slices.
- Whisk the eggs and mix with the Greek yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the minced meat and spread evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes, covering with a tin foil if needed to protect the sauce from burning.
- Slice and serve hot.