If you love sushi as much as we do then this is the recipe for you! We took it upon ourselves to find and make the best keto sushi recipe. We came up with low carb cauliflower rice sushi rolls and they tick all the boxes:
- Low carb
- Loaded with flavor
- EASY to make (no special equipment)
- High in healthy fats
- BONUS: Vegetarian and gluten-free!
Now making your own sushi roll at home isn’t hard when you have this fantastic recipe. If you are using soy sauce as a dip don’t add any salt to the recipe, but feel free to experiment with different spices and herbs to make it your own.
Ingredients You’ll Need
We wanted to make sure anyone could make this keto sushi recipe at home without any special ingredients or equipment. Your low carb sushi roll will be made with the following ingredients:
- Cauliflower – using cauliflower rice as an alternative to traditional rice is how we keep our sushi low carb. You can also use store-bought cauliflower rice which is sold in the freezer section of grocery stores.
- Avocado – sliced avocado is a key ingredient in sushi. Remember to always use fresh and ripe avocados otherwise your sushi won’t taste as good.
- Cucumber – sliced cucumber is another staple for sushi. It adds a nice crunchy texture and is super low in calories and carbs.
- Cream Cheese – adds extra flavor and goes great with avocado and cucumber.
- Nori Seaweed – you can grab nori sheets in the Asian/international aisle at most grocery stores.
Making Vegetarian Cauliflower Rice Sushi
Don’t feel like you can’t make sushi at home, it really is simple!
Start by heating sesame oil in a pan over high heat. Sauté the grated cauliflower until it’s golden brown which should take around 5 minutes. If you’re opting not to use any soy sauce as a dip, you can season the cauliflower with a pinch of salt.
Now cut your avocado and cucumber into thin strips. Don’t worry if you don’t have a bamboo sushi mat to make your sushi roll. We used a piece of parchment paper but cling film or aluminum foil will work as well, easy!
Time to build our sushi roll! Place the nori sheet on your parchment paper and spread the cream cheese over the sheet leaving space around the edges.
Now, add an even layer of the sautéed cauliflower on top of the cream cheese.
Arrange the slices of avocado and cucumber with spaces in between each slice so that they cover around 1/3rd of the surface. Carefully wrap the nori sheet using the parchment paper to wrap it into a tight roll.
Finally, cut the sushi roll into bite-sized pieces and serve at room temperature. Optionally serve with gluten-free soy sauce to dip!
- 1 cup Cauliflower grated
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/3 cup Cream Cheese full-fat
- 1/4 cup Cucumber
- 1 Nori Seaweed Sheet
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce (to dip) gluten-free
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan over high heat and sauté the grated cauliflower for 5 minutes until golden brown. If you are not using soy sauce as a dip, this is the time to season the cauliflower with a pinch of salt.
- In the meantime, cut the avocado and cucumber into sticks.
- Place the nori sheet on a piece of parchment paper (cling film or aluminum foil would also work) and spread the cream cheese on top of the nori.
- Add a layer of the sauteed cauliflower ‘rice’ and spread evenly leaving room around the edges.
- Arrange the cucumber and avocado sticks on 1/3 of the surface.
- Carefully roll the nori using the parchment paper to help you wrap it in a tight roll.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces and serve at room temperature, with a side of soy sauce to dip in.