Homemade croutons are a necessity, don’t you think? They make a salad more filling, add texture to creamy soups, they even make a really cool and unique casserole or quiche topping.
Plus you can make them in bulk and snack on them anytime you need something crunchy and salty to keep you going in between meals. The Parmesan Keto Croutons are incredibly low in carbs and bursting with flavor.
They're a great addition to your keto diet as well. This parmesan keto croutons recipe makes 10 servings of approximately 5 croutons. Each serving contains only 2.6 grams of net carbs!
Table of Contents
Are Croutons Keto?
You may be asking yourself "Can I eat croutons on keto?" Traditional croutons are made with bread and contain a high number of carbs.
We make our parmesan croutons keto-friendly by using almond flour, psyllium husk and egg whites instead of bread. They still taste amazing and are low in net carbs with the added benefit of extra fiber.
Parmesan Keto Croutons Ingredients
For our low-carb crouton recipe, you'll only need 8 ingredients:
- Egg whites
- Almond flour
- Psyllium husk powder
- Baking powder
- White wine vinegar
- Parmesan cheese
How To Make Parmesan Keto Croutons
To get started, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking pan with baking paper.
Grab a large mixing bowl and combine the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder and salt. Add the boiling water and vinegar while stirring until combined.
Whisk the egg whites lightly and then fold them into the mixture.
Transfer the mixture onto your lined baking pan and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon.
Now, transfer the baking pan into the oven and bake for around 40-minutes until golden brown.
Once ready, use a knife to cut the dough lengthwise in half. Place it back on the baking pan with the cut side facing upward. Set your oven to grill and increase the temperature to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make the cheesy topping by whisking together the grated parmesan cheese and butter.
Brush the mixture on top of each piece of dough and then return to the oven to grill for around 5-minutes.
Allow to cool to room temperature and then break into small crouton pieces. Enjoy in your favorite creamy soup or salad (or just eat them plain!).
Parmesan Keto Croutons
For the Keto Croutons
- 3 large Egg Whites
- 1 ½ cups Boiling Water
- 1 ½ cups Almond Flour
- ⅖ cup Psyllium Husk Powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Parmesan Cheese Topping
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour with the psyllium husk powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the hot water and vinegar and stir.
- Whisk the egg whites lightly, and fold into the mixture.
- Transfer on the lined baking pan and spread put with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown.
- With a knife cut the dough lengthwise in half. Place back on the baking pan, cut side facing up.
- Turn the oven’s setting to grill and raise the temperature to 450°F.
- Make the topping by whisking together the grated parmesan cheese with the butter. Brush the mixture on top of each piece of dough and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Allow to cool down and break into smaller, crouton-like pieces.