This Keto Mongolian Beef is the perfect low carb version of your favorite takeout! Tender cuts of steak marinated in a savory soy, ginger and garlic sauce for a delicious low carb dinner.
Table of Contents
The Mongolian cuisine is known for its simplicity and the use of staple ingredients to create incredibly flavorful meals.
This keto Mongolian beef recipe makes some simple substitutes to make it low carb without losing any flavor.
With just 4 grams of net carbs per portion, it leaves plenty of room for sides such as steamed vegetables or cauliflower rice which I highly recommend to complete this dish.
You can easily substitute the beef for chicken as well and it tastes just as great.
Why You'll Love Mongolian Beef
- Only 4 grams of net carbs!!
- Perfect with steamed veggies or cauliflower rice
- Simple and flavorful
Low Carb Mongolian Beef Ingredients
You'll only need 11 simple ingredients to make this delicious keto Mongolian beef recipe.
- Beef steak - flat iron steak or flank steak works best for this recipe. You can also substitute beef for chicken or lamb.
- Sesame oil - packed with flavor and fragrance, sesame oil is a crucial ingredient in Asian cuisine.
- Vegetable oil - used in the marinade, canola oil is a great choice because of its light taste.
- Soy sauce - if you're worried about your sodium intake opt for a low-sodium variety.
- Almond flour - helps to thicken the marinade.
- Erythritol - to make this dish keto friendly we use Erythritol instead of sugar. Feel free to use other sugar free sweeteners as well.
- Ginger - minced ginger or freshly grated is fine.
- Chili - fresh chili flakes add a spicy kick.
- Garlic - minced fresh garlic or from a jar is fine.
- Scallions - chopped scallions or green onions to garnish.
How To Make Keto Mongolian Beef
To get started, take a large mixing bowl and add the beef, two tablespoons of sesame oil, one teaspoon of soy sauce and almond flour.
Mix everything together well until the beef is evenly covered. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes. You can also prepare this the night before.
Next, take another mixing bowl and mix the Erythritol with the soy sauce.
Take the marinated beef and in a wok or wide frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over a high heat and sauté the beef for 1 to 2 minutes.
Set the heat to medium and add the chili flakes, minced ginger and garlic. Stir everything together to combine.
Pour in the Erythritol and soy sauce mixture and continue to stir to create a thick glaze that coast the beef.
Serve hot topped with chopped scallions or green onions. Enjoy!
In the fridge: any leftovers can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge and will keep for up to 3 days.
In the freezer: this recipe is perfect for meal prepping. Wait for it to cool down and then place it into freezer proof containers and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, just pop it in the microwave until hot!
More Asian-Inspired Keto Recipes
Keto Mongolian Beef Recipe
- 5 oz Flat Iron Steak sliced thinly against the grain
- 2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce low sodium
- 2 teaspoon Almond Flour
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil (e.g. Canola Oil)
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce low sodium
- 1 tablespoon Erythritol
- 1 teaspoon Ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 2 sprigs Scallions sliced
- In a large mixing bowl combine the beef with 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, soy sauce, and almond flour. Mix well to coat all the pieces evenly and allow to marinate for 30 minutes, covered, in the fridge.
- To make the sauce, mix the Erythritol with the soy sauce.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wide frying pan or wok and sauté the beef over high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the chili flakes, minced ginger and garlic and stir.
- Pour in the soy sauce-Erythritol mixture and stir to create a thick glaze that coats the beef.
- Serve hot topped with chopped scallions.