We are celebrating Chinese New Year with a delicious and keto-friendly Chinese Orange Beef! Thin slices of crispy beef with a tangy and sticky sauce. It's bursting with citrusy flavors and this is a recipe that will put the takeaway menus to rest that you can make in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Serve with a generous bowl of cauliflower rice on the side and feel free to recreate the same recipe with poultry, game or pork. Happy Year of the Ox!
How to Make Crispy Orange Beef
The first step is to slice your beef into thin strips. The secret to making the most crispy beef is to place the slices between two paper towels and popping it in the freezer. This drys out the beef which makes it even more crispy when cooked.
Next, grab a small mixing bowl and whisk together your soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, Erythritol and chili flakes until well combined.
Take half your butter and sauté the beef strips over medium-high heat until golden brown. Do this in batches if you need to and make sure the strips don't touch each other. Once you've finished with the beef, wipe the pan and then heat the remaining butter.
Now, sauté half of the green onions, the orange zest and grated ginger for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and xanthan gum then stir to combine. Add the rice vinegar and soy sauce mixture and allow to simmer until it reaches a glossy and thick consistency.
Finally, throw in the beef strips and stir them until evenly coated with the mixture. Serve hot garnished with the remaining green onions and orange slices.
- 1 lb Beef Top Sirloin cut into thin strips
- 2 stalks Green Onion diagonally sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce gluten-free
- ¼ cup Water warm
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Erythritol
- 1 Orange zest only, slices to garnish
- 1 tablespoon Ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Flakes
- Place the beef strips in between two paper towels and place in the freezer while you prepare the sauce. This will dry out the meat, making it even crispier when cooked.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, Erythritol and chili flakes.
- Heat half the amount of butter in a non-stick skillet and sauté the beef, for 5-7 minutes on each side, until golden brown working in batches if needed, making sure the strips are not touching each other.
- Remove the beef from the pan and heat the remaining butter.
- Sauté half the amount of green onions, reserving the rest to garnish, the orange zest and grated ginger for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and xanthan gum and stir.
- Add the rice vinegar and the soy sauce mixture and simmer until it reaches a glossy, thick consistency.
- Add the beef strips and stir to coat.
- Serve hot garnished with green onions and optionally orange slices.
Readers also love
Widget not in any sidebars