Who doesn’t love an easy keto snack you can whip up using just 2 ingredients? To make these keto air fryer zucchini chips, you only need zucchini, olive oil, and a little salt. The secret to crispy zucchini chips is to pat the zucchini dry and lightly salt them. You can add more salt after baking to ensure a finger-licking crispy result!
Table of Contents
2 Ingredient Zucchini Chips
Recipes able to be thrown together in a matter of minutes are a winner. My favorite recipes are cheddar chips, keto Doritos, tortilla chips, and these crispy zucchini chips. These 2 ingredient keto zucchini chips are effortless to make and are a delicious snack to enjoy throughout the day. The humble zucchini is transformed after being coated with olive oil, spending an hour in the oven, and blanketed with a light sprinkling of optional sea salt. The result is a crispy, keto-friendly chip that’s gloriously guilt-free!
Since these zucchini chips store well, maintaining their crunchy goodness, they are the perfect recipe to cook ahead of time. Keeping a sealed tub of keto chips on standby is never a bad idea, and when movie night arrives, you know there’s a balanced, tasty snack waiting for you. Vegans, vegetarians, and dairy-free friends can enjoy these chips as they are suitable for a range of dietary requirements.
Zucchini is such a versatile ingredient, and it’s the star of the show for our keto chips recipe! This forest-green vegetable is the ideal low-carb ingredient to take center stage, but be sure to dry the zucchini slices thoroughly to remove excess water. Taking the time to pat the zucchini slices dry before cooking ensures each chip crispens up in the oven and becomes gloriously crispy.
Zucchini Chips Ingredients
- Zucchini: Raw zucchini has a slightly bitter taste, but when cooked, it becomes sweet and soft with a mild flavor. Similar to cucumber, zucchini is a vegetable packed full of water, which isn’t the best news for creating crunchy chips. Patting down the slices of zucchini before putting them into the oven is key to achieving ultimate crunchiness with every single keto chip.
- Olive Oil: Many different oils can be used for our keto zucchini chips, from coconut to avocado, but we like the subtlety of olive oil. Only a couple of tablespoons are needed to coat the zucchini, and since the chips are baked at a high temperature, there’s no need to go fancy and use extra virgin olive oil; standard olive oil works just fine.
- Sea Salt: Salt is an optional ingredient for our crunchy keto snack, but lightly tossing the cooked chips in sea salt enhances their flavor tremendously. Since the grains of sea salt are larger than standard table salt, the chips become even crunchier, and taste buds come alive!
How To Make Keto Zucchini Chips
Making these crunchy zucchini chips is a breeze. With two store cupboard ingredients and standard kitchen equipment, anyone can whip up these keto chips in just 5 minutes. There are only 61 calories per serving, and since these keto zucchini chips are also vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free, they cater to a range of dietary requirements.
Step one: Preheat your oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Use a little butter on each corner of the paper to help stick it down if it begins to fold up. If using an air fryer, preheat to 132°C (270°F) for a few minutes before cooking.
Step two: Lay a kitchen towel or paper towel flat on the countertop before slicing the zucchini as thinly as possible. Place each slice onto the kitchen or paper towel and gently pat the zucchini dry, removing any excess water.
Step three: Place the slices into a large bowl and toss the zucchini in the olive oil and a little sea salt until each piece is lusciously glossy on both sides.
Step four: Lay each slice of zucchini on the prepared baking sheet, making sure no pieces are overlapping each other. This guarantees each chip will cook evenly and become crispy, even on the edges!
Step five: Once the zucchini slices are laid out on the baking paper, pop the tray in the oven and cook the chips for an hour until they are crispy. If using an air fryer, cook the zucchini chips for 15 minutes, checking them at the 10-minute mark. Adding another sprinkling of salt over the chips when they’re fresh out of the oven makes for an extra finger-licking good keto snack!
Tips And Variations
Cheesy Keto Zucchini Chips: All that’s needed to transform these zucchini chips into cheesy chips is a grating of hard cheese! Fresh parmesan is a great choice as the salt counteracts the sweet zucchini, and the cheese becomes golden and crunchy, adding even more texture to the chips. Simply grate some hard cheese over the slices of zucchini and watch them become lightly browned on the edges with the addition of the cheese.
Keto Eggplant Chips: Eggplant is ideal for making keto chips as it has a similar texture to zucchini and crispens up lovely in the oven. To make keto crunchy eggplant chips, you can follow our zucchini recipe and toss thinly sliced eggplant in olive oil and salt before laying them flat on a lined baking tray.
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips: Air fryers are becoming increasingly popular, and since they cook food to perfection in a fraction of the time as a traditional oven, it’s easy to see why! Our zucchini chip recipe is suitable for air fryers. All you need to do is preheat an air fryer to 132° (270°F) for a few minutes before adding in the lightly oil-slicked zucchini chips. Cooking the keto chips in an air fryer takes around 15 minutes, but keep an eye on them from the 10-minute mark, as some may get golden and crispy before others!
Keto Coconut Oil Zucchini Chips: We like to coat the zucchini chips in olive oil as it has such a delicate, subtle taste, but coconut oil works great, too. If you only have coconut oil to hand and it’s in its solid form, simply melt a couple of tablespoons and use the oil to coat the zucchini.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Zucchini Chips Keto?
Yes, these zucchini chips are almost completely carb-free, with just 0.1g net carbs per serving.
How To Make Keto Zucchini Chips Crispy?
The key to making keto zucchini chips crispy is drying off the slices with a towel before coating them in oil and a sprinkling of sea salt. Any excess moisture can make the zucchini chips soggy instead of crispy, so pat them dry thoroughly. Also, avoid using too much olive oil, as this can make the zucchini go soft in the oven and prevent the desired crunchy texture.
How Many Carbs Are In Keto Zucchini Chips?
Our 2 ingredient keto crunchy zucchini chips contain 0.2g of total carbs per serving. This is an incredibly small amount, all thanks to using simply keto-friendly ingredients such as olive oil, zucchini, and salt. Adjusting the recipe and adding breadcrumbs or similar will increase the total carbs, so be mindful of this when playing around with the ingredients!
Can You Make Keto Crunchy Chips With Any Vegetable?
Not all vegetables are keto-friendly and suitable for making crunchy chips. Veg such as Brussels sprouts, eggplant, cauliflower, and zucchini are all perfect for keto chips as they are low carb and don’t contain too much water. They also crispen up well in an oven, which is important for achieving a golden, crunchy chip!
Keto Zucchini Chips Recipe
- 2 medium Zucchinis
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Sea Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Use a little butter on each corner of the paper to help stick it down if it begins to fold up. If using an air fryer, preheat to 132°C (270°F) for a few minutes before cooking.
- Lay a kitchen towel or paper towel flat on the countertop before slicing the zucchini as thinly as possible. Place each slice onto the kitchen or paper towel and gently pat the zucchini dry, removing any excess water.
- Place in a mixing bowl and add the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat each slice well on both sides. Transfer the zucchini slices to the lined baking sheet, ensuring they are not overlapping to cook and crisp evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour until crispy. If using an air fryer, cook the zucchini chips for 15 minutes, checking them at the 10-minute mark.
- Adding another sprinkling of salt over the chips when they’re fresh out of the oven makes for an extra finger-licking good keto snack!