My 5-minute sugar-free keto hot chocolate recipe is rich, creamy, velvety, chocolaty, and made with only 5 ingredients! It's an easy hot chocolate that is gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, diabetic-friendly, and vegetarian.
Table of Contents
Is there a better way to warm up a cold day than a comforting keto hot chocolate? Let me teach you how to make sugar-free hot chocolate to get you through cold evenings, movie nights, outdoor excursions, and quiet Sunday mornings. The best part is it's so easy to make with simple ingredients and just 5 minutes!
Standard hot chocolate mixes are loaded with sugar to give them their classic sweet flavor... According to the USDA, each cup of homemade hot cocoa contains over 25 grams of net carbs, nearly all sugars. Not a keto-friendly beverage!
The key to making it keto? Using the right sugar-free sweetener and cocoa powder without sacrificing the creamy consistency and rich flavor. Allulose works best because it completely dissolves and doesn't have a funny aftertaste.
Ingredients You'll Need
Using the right ingredients is the most important step for the best sugar-free hot cocoa. Here are the 5 ingredients you'll need and substitutions you can use.
- Heavy cream - It's an essential ingredient for the classic creamy and velvety texture. To make this hot beverage dairy-free, substitute it for high-fat coconut milk or cream.
- Cocoa powder - Make sure you use an unsweetened one. I highly recommend using this Dutch-process cocoa powder because it's not as bitter. It also contains only 1g net carbs in each tablespoon.
- Allulose - It works best because it dissolves better than other sugar-free sweeteners. Crystallized or powdered varieties work fine. You can substitute it for other sweeteners like Erythritol or monk fruit; ensure they're completely dissolved.
- Vanilla extract - This is optional, but I always use a high-quality one in my hot cocoa. And trust me, you can taste a difference!
- Whipped cream - It's an optional topping to make the hot chocolate special. Go for an unsweetened one and check the label for added sugars.
How To Make Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate
5 minutes is all you need to make this keto hot cocoa recipe! Follow the 3 steps below:
- In a small pot over medium-high heat, heat the heavy cream with the water and vanilla extract. Bring the cream mixture to high heat but do not let it boil.
- Dissolve the cocoa powder and Allulose by whisking them into the cream mixture. Let the hot chocolate simmer for another minute before pouring it into mugs.
- Optionally add a swirl of whipped cream dusted with cocoa powder on top of each mug. Serve hot, and enjoy!
This sugar-free hot cocoa is always best served fresh and hot off the stove top. However, you can store it covered in the fridge and it will keep for a few days. Reheat it in a pot on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Cozy Keto Drink Recipes
- Keto Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew - An incredible sugar-free version of the classic Starbucks iced-coffee! Filled with pumpkin spice flavor and made with only 6 ingredients.
- Keto Hot Buttered Rum - The ultimate sugar-free cocktail with ZERO carbs! Made with rum, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg - so much flavor!
- Bulletproof Matche Latte - Tired of standard bulletproof coffee? Try this healthy version with only 4 ingredients - matcha powder, coconut cream, oil and sugar-free sweetener!
Sugar-Free Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 tablespoon Cocoa Powder (unsweetened) (e.g. Rodelle Organic Baking Cocoa Powder)
- 3 tablespoon Allulose
- ⅔ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Whipped Cream unsweetened
- Gather all the ingredients for your keto hot chocolate.
- In a small pot over medium-high heat, heat cream with the water and vanilla extract. Make sure it's hot but not boiling.
- Dissolve the cocoa powder and Allulose into the cream mixture by whisking. Allow the hot cocoa to simmering for a minute and pour into mugs.
- Optionally add a swirl of whipped cream on each mug and dust with cocoa powder. Serve hot.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Rate this recipe
Share your recipe by tagging @keto.diet.yum with hashtag #ketodietyum on Instagram - everyone would love to see it!
Have tried various versions of Keto hot chocolate with no success - this one is a keeper! Only change I would make is adding maybe a touch more of sweetener -