Savory, low-carb Keto Egg Muffins are a great quick-and-easy breakfast.
If you’re on a Ketogenic diet or perhaps a low-carb diet then you might find that you run out of suitable options for filling, delicious and nutritious recipes.
This gluten-free low-carb recipe is a good example of something that is easy to make and good for all the family to enjoy - especially for breakfast.
Eggs are staples in the Ketogenic diet because they’re extremely low carb and high in protein.
They’re also versatile so there’s a lot you can do with them.
This Keto-friendly recipe is an example of what you can do with the humble egg.
The recipe is also something that you can make in advance so you just whip one out when you fancy a Keto-friendly snack.
We promise you that even your friends and family not on any form of diet will love these keto egg muffins!
What You’ll Need
Making these takes just 25 minutes including preparation and cooking time, it’s always best to be prepared!
It’s time to get down to your local supermarket and stock up with the following ingredients so you can make them whenever you’re ready.
You’ll need the following items and ingredients to make twelve delicious muffins:
- A wire rack
- Non-stick cooking spray or Keto-friendly cooking oil (to make sure that your egg cups slide out easily)
- 90g / 3.2 oz of sweet potato, shredded
- 65g / 2.3 oz of cheddar cheese (grated)
- Six strips of bacon, crumbled
- Ten large eggs
- 20ml of semi-skimmed milk
- One teaspoon of salt
- Three grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- A muffin tray (at least ten holders)
How to Make Them
- First, pre-heat your oven to 220 C / 430 F (adjust accordingly if you have fan or fan-assist)
- Then, take a standard size muffin tray (with room for at least 10 muffins) and spray lightly with your cooking spray
- Next, it’s time to divide up your sweet potato, bacon and cheese ingredients equally into the bottom of each muffin holder
- Crack your eggs into a generously sized mixing bowl
- Add the semi-skimmed milk
- Add the salt and grind in the pepper
- Whisk the mixture until everything is blended well.
- Next, you pour equal amounts of the mixture into each muffin holder, on top of the ingredients that you’ve already placed so that each holder is approximately ½ full. If you have any mixture leftover just top up each muffin holder but be careful not to go over the ¾ full mark.
- Now it’s time to bake!
- Place your muffins on a tray in the middle of the oven.
- Allow your muffins to bake until they are lightly brown around the edges. This will take approximately 12 to 14 minutes, depending on your oven speed.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down on a wire rack (this should take two or three minutes).
- Then, carefully run a butter knife lightly around each muffin holder. This should loosen up your muffins so you can remove them easily.
- Serve your muffins warm or enjoy them cool, it’s up to you!
These keto egg muffins are ideal for making in advance.
Simply store them in the fridge or freeze for use at a later date.
Always allow them to cool right down before storing and place in an airtight container before transferring to your fridge or freezer.
You can freeze breakfast egg muffins for up to one month and refrigerate them for up to three days.
Breakfast Egg Muffins Nutrition
Our recipe makes 10 breakfast egg muffins.
One breakfast egg muffin contains the following nutrition:
- Calories 199 kcal
- Protein 15.8g
- Carbs 1.1g (super low carb!)
- Fat 14.5.g
Other Ideas for Keto Muffins
Of course, you can vary the above recipe to include other delicious ingredients!
You could try some of the following ingredient options which are all tried and tested:
- Sprinkle your egg cup mixture with some sliced spring onions for a more sophisticated flavor
- Add a little Keto-friendly tomato salsa (make your own!) and some freshly sliced green, yellow and red peppers for a Mexican twist
- Combine the mixture with fresh spinach for extra Popeye strength!
- Add a little shredded smoked salmon (instead of the bacon) and some finely chopped chives for a really tasty treat and serve with a dollop of sour cream
- Just sprinkle some cayenne pepper into the mixture if you prefer something hot or for really hot, try chili powder, or even fresh chili (make sure to remove the seeds). This makes a real zingy flavor but beware your mouth might tingle!
- Mix in some cooked, chopped mushrooms and finely chopped caramelized onion
- Try chopping up some baby tomatoes with mozzarella and basil into the mixture (without bacon or sweet potato) for an Italian twist
Serving Ideas for Egg Muffins
Low-carb keto muffins are ideal served on their own but you can easily serve them with plenty of other options to make a real meal of them!
- Serve with a selection of low-carb green vegetables for a wholesome meal
- Prepare with or without bacon and serve with a juicy steak
- Try your low carb egg muffins served with a side of cooked, sliced mushrooms and some fried onions (using a low-carb cooking oil)
- At breakfast, try serving with giant grilled beef tomatoes
So there you have it!
There are a multitude of tasty options for eggs muffins and all are ideal for all the family, perfect for a tasty meal at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The possibilities are endless and you can, of course, try your own combinations, change up your cheese or switch out your bacon for a different Keto-friendly lean meat (turkey or ham make good substitutions).
All that’s left is for you to dig in...