Chicken skewers are a classic appetizer that goes perfectly with the keto diet. Our version includes a spicy and herby chermoula sauce that tastes incredible. Serve them with our keto pancetta salad or keto salad with Italian dressing for a complete low-carb meal.
Best Chicken Skewers
The secret to the best chicken skewers is all in the sauce or marinade. The chermoula sauce is by far the most crucial part of this recipe and it's super flavorful!
It's made with a blend of cilantro, parsley, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, ginger, chili, lemon juice, lemon zest and olive oil to make a thick sauce. Rich, herby and spicy it makes a great marinade or finishing sauce for steaks, fish and chicken.
Chicken Skewers Recipe
As mentioned, the core part of this recipe is the chermoula sauce. Other than chicken breast and butter for the chermoula marinade, you'll need:
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup Italian parsley
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger
- ½ a lemon (zest and juice)
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
Let's get started!
How To Make Chicken Skewers
First, dice the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and thread them onto skewers.
Heat your butter in a skillet and cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until it's completely cooked and golden brown. Add a pinch of salt and pepper for seasoning.
Grab a dry pan and toast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds. Toss them in the pan for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
To make the chermoula sauce grab your blender or food processor. Add the cilantro, parsley, olive oil, garlic, toasted cumin seeds, toasted coriander seeds, ginger, lemon (juice and zest), chili and salt.
Blend the mixture until it reaches a thick sauce-like consistency. You may also need to add a bit of water to reach your desired consistency.
Serve the chicken skewers hot out of the skillet drizzled with the chermoula sauce.
Chicken Skewers with Chermoula Sauce
- 1 large Chicken Breast
- 2 tablespoon Butter
For the Chermoula Sauce
- ½ cup Cilantro
- ½ cup Italian Parsley
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Ginger fresh
- ½ Lemon zest and juice
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Flakes
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Dice the chicken and then thread the bite-sized pieces onto skewers.
- Heat the butter in a skillet and cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until completely cooked through and golden brown. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a dry pan, toast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds, tossing for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
To Make The Chermoula Sauce/Marinade
- TIn a blender or food processor combine the cilantro, parsley, olive oil, garlic, toasted seeds, ginger, lemon juice and zest, chili and salt to make a thick sauce. Add a bit of water if needed to achieve your desired consistency.
- Serve the chicken skewers hot drizzled with the sauce.