It’s that time of the year again! This keto-friendly version of the Starbucks Peppermint Mocha allows you to enjoy the seasonal flavors you love without the added sugar and carbs. It's a perfect treat during the holiday season or whenever you're in the mood for a festive coffee beverage. Don’t skip the heavy cream, as it adds extra creaminess, which makes the drink irresistible!
Table of Contents
Delving into new recipes as the festive season approaches is an exciting way to warm up to the holidays. Our keto peppermint mocha encapsulates seasonal flavors and is the perfect beverage to brighten dark, cold winter days. This recipe is a keto spin on a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha, allowing those living a low-carb lifestyle to enjoy the coffee without the added sugar and carbohydrates.
Peppermint extract is responsible for the cool edge to the coffee, while cocoa powder transforms the drink into a mint chocolate delight. Almond milk keeps the coffee creamy, while the subtle nuttiness works well with the chocolate notes of unsweetened cocoa powder. Despite not using any added sugar in our recipe, the keto peppermint mocha remains sweet thanks to Erythritol, which acts somewhat like keto sugar!
Taking less than 10 minutes to prepare and serve, this peppermint mocha is a must this holiday season. Storecupboard-friendly ingredients mean you likely won’t even have to head to the store to purchase anything for the mocha. This means more time to sit back, relax, and enjoy a hearty drink that promises to warm you up from the inside out.
Keto Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Ingredients
For the Peppermint Mocha
- Brewed Coffee: A peppermint mocha wouldn’t deserve its name without the inclusion of coffee, and our recipe calls for a strong brew. By using two shots of espresso with added hot water to create an americano, the coffee remains a forefront flavor along with the peppermint extract.
- Almond Milk: Recognized for its subtle sweet and nutty flavor, almond milk is the ideal liquid to add to the mocha, bringing a smooth and creamy texture. Unsweetened almond milk is the best option to go for, especially for those on a keto lifestyle. It avoids any added sugars or carbs sweetened almond milk may contain, and also means the general sweetness of the mocha can be better controlled.
- Cocoa Powder: Rich and decadent, cocoa powder adds fragrant chocolate notes to the peppermint mocha without the need for sugar-laden milk chocolate. The intensity of cocoa powder can be overbearing, but as such, a small amount is needed for this recipe. Any hints of bitterness are counteracted by sweet Erythritol and fiery peppermint.
- Erythritol: Suitable for use in a vast array of recipes, Erythritol is key in bringing keto-friendly sweetness to the mocha. Only a little Erythritol is needed to bring balanced sweetness to the drink, and once stirred and dissolved, it acts and tastes similar to sugar.
- Peppermint Extract: Peppermint extract is a key ingredient in a keto peppermint mocha as it’s exactly what brings the strong, cool, minty aroma and flavor. Extracts tend to have intense flavors, and peppermint extract is no exception. Starting off by adding a little at a time is the best way to avoid overpowering the mocha with too much mint.
- Heavy Cream: Nothing quite hits the mark like a creamy coffee, and although almond milk helps bring some creaminess, it’s the addition of heavy cream that truly transforms the texture. Just a couple of tablespoons is all that’s needed to thicken the mocha and create a light, velvety texture that’s a joy to drink.
- Salt: Adding a pinch of salt to a coffee may initially seem odd; however, salt is known to bring balance to recipes, both sweet and savory, and that’s exactly what it does in this recipe. A dash of salt to the coffee intensifies all of the flavors within the peppermint mocha, allowing each ingredient to do its part and the chocolate mint notes to come through.
For the Topping (Optional)
- Whipped Cream: Having fun with recipes is a fundamental part of cooking, and adding toppings to drinks is an easy way to bring a lighthearted, festive, tasty addition to the mocha. Whipped cream is the perfect ingredient to achieve this, and it can either be left unsweetened or sweetened lightly with some Erythritol.
- Dark Chocolate: Keto-friendly alternatives are continuously entering stores, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find some keto-friendly dark chocolate to add on top of the whipped cream. Shavings of keto dark chocolate sprinkled over the cream echo the flavors of the cocoa powder within, and they look attractive, too!
How To Make Starbucks Peppermint Mocha
Our keto peppermint mocha can be whipped up in less than 10 minutes, so there’s no need to get stressed when guests turn up unexpectedly this winter. Instead, you’ll be able to serve everyone a mint chocolate coffee treat at a moment’s notice.
Step one: Place a small saucepan on the stove and warm the unsweetened almond milk over low heat, remaining cautious not to let the milk come to a boil.
Step two: Mix the unsweetened cocoa powder and Erythritol together in a separate bowl with a pinch of salt.
Step three: Add the brewed coffee, peppermint extract, and the cocoa powder-Erythritol mixture to your favorite mug. Keep gently stirring the mixture until the cocoa powder and Erythritol dissolve and there are no small bits in sight.
Step four: The warmed almond milk can then be slowly poured into the coffee mixture, along with heavy cream, for a thicker, creamier texture.
Step five: Taste the mocha and adjust the sweetness or peppermint flavor to your preference by adding more sweetener or peppermint extract if desired.
Step six: The keto peppermint mocha can then be topped with a dollop of whipped cream and garnished with dark keto chocolate shavings. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Keto Peppermint Mocha With Coconut Milk: Almond milk is a subtle and delicious milk alternative that works well in a peppermint mocha recipe, but coconut milk also makes a delicious coffee. Replacing the almond milk with coconut milk adds another layer of sweet flavor to the coffee, where a quiet hum of coconut echoes behind the mint with each and every sip. It’s best to use coconut milk from a carton and not the canned kind, as the texture needs to be loose and fluid.
Cold Keto Peppermint Mocha: Our keto peppermint mocha is versatile in the way that it can be enjoyed both hot and cold. Allowing the coffee to cool completely before continuing with the recipe means there’s no waiting around for the mocha to cool at the end. Instead, it can be served immediately over ice and enjoyed as a refreshing, cool afternoon pick-me-up.
Keto Peppermint Mocha With Chocolate Syrup: Many different keto-friendly syrups can be found in stores or online, and our mocha recipe is matched perfectly with a decorative and tasty chocolate syrup addition. Adding a spoonful of keto chocolate syrup to the coffee mixture as well as on top of the whipped cream makes the mocha look amazing and also provides a luscious, chocolatey burst.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Carbs In A Peppermint Mocha?
A Starbucks peppermint mocha contains around 60g of carbohydrates (mostly sugar), whereas our keto peppermint mocha contains only 2.8g of net carbs per serving. This makes our recipe a far better option for those watching their carb intake who still want to enjoy tasty treats from time to time.
Can You Make Peppermint Mocha Into A Frappé?
Transforming a peppermint mocha into a frappé is as easy as adding the mocha mixture and ice together in a blender or processor. Blending until the ice has broken into small shards creates a delicious, refreshing peppermint mocha frappé.
Can You Make Peppermint Mocha Without Peppermint Extract?
Making a peppermint mocha without peppermint extract is achievable, though the minty flavor will likely not be as intense in the final coffee. It may be possible to find keto-friendly peppermint syrup, but this may change the overall texture and flavor of the mocha.
Keto Peppermint Mocha Recipe
For the Topping
- Sugar-Free Whipped Cream sweetened with Erythritol
- Dark Chocolate shavings
- In a small saucepan, warm the unsweetened almond milk over low heat. Be careful not to bring it to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, mix the unsweetened cocoa powder and Erythritol.
- In your coffee mug, add the brewed coffee, peppermint extract, and the cocoa-Erythritol mixture. Stir until the cocoa and sweetener dissolve.
- Pour the warmed almond milk into the coffee mixture. If you prefer a creamier texture, add the heavy cream as well.
- Taste your mocha and adjust the sweetness or peppermint flavor to your liking by adding more sweetener or peppermint extract if necessary.
- Top your Keto Peppermint Mocha with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with dark keto chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.