Make this Caprese stuffed chicken breast recipe with only 6 simple ingredients! The classic Italian combination of fresh mozzarella cheese, juicy cherry tomatoes, and fragrant basil leaves transforms into a flavorful and satisfying low-carb dinner. The chicken breasts are stuffed with these delicious ingredients and then baked to perfection. The result is tender and juicy chicken with melted cheese and bursts of flavor from the tomatoes and basil. It's a delightful option for a wholesome and low-carb meal.
Table of Contents
Keto Caprese stuffed chicken is a delightful way of transforming chicken breasts into a classic Italian-inspired dish. The flavor combination of mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil creates a mouthwatering, wholesome keto dish that’s an excellent choice for any midweek dinner. Tender chicken breasts are the perfect low-carb base to anoint the Caprese with, and they make the dish satisfying and filling.
Italian seasoning, mozzarella, fresh basil leaves, and olive oil bring a taste of the Mediterranean to the kitchen and make the chicken breasts burst with bold flavors. Baking the stuffed Caprese chicken in the oven ensures a tender result and gives the Caprese plenty of time to marinate and bubble away inside the chicken.
Our keto-stuffed chicken recipe takes under 45 minutes from start to finish. Even if guests show up unexpectedly or work runs late, there’s a quick, fresh dinner waiting to be made with simple ingredients and an oven! For a full meal, the stuffed chicken Caprese is perfect when served alongside keto-friendly vegetables or a leafy green salad dressed simply with extra virgin olive oil.
- Chicken Breasts: Silky and softly textured chicken breasts are a fantastic source of keto protein and are the perfect way to enjoy everything a Caprese offers. Stuffing the chicken and baking the breasts in the oven gives the ingredients plenty of time to dance together, creating a visually stunning, Italian-inspired dish with a modern low carb edge.
- Mozzarella: Sliced mozzarella not only brings savory saltiness to the stuffed chicken but also creates a rich layer of molten cheese to contrast the fresh basil and cherry tomatoes. The cheese should become bubbly and lightly brown when the chicken has finished cooking, but keep an eye out that it doesn't start to burn.
- Cherry Tomatoes: The ruby color of cherry tomatoes alone makes them inviting, but they bring a whole lot more than just pops of scarlet to our keto Caprese stuffed chicken recipe. Halved cherry tomatoes stuffed inside the chicken breasts help keep the meat tender and moist up until the last minute in the oven.
- Basil Leaves: Fresh tomatoes paired with cherry tomatoes are a match made perfect, and just a few leaves are all that’s needed to bring this classic flavor combo to life. Basil leaves can be substituted for dried basil if you don’t have any fresh to hand.
- Olive Oil: A light drizzle of olive oil over the chicken after the breasts have been stuffed helps prevent the chicken from becoming dry in the high temperature of the oven. The oil also ensures nothing sticks in the pan, so even any dribbles of melted mozzarella can be enjoyed!
- Italian Seasoning: All herbs and spices have a time and place, and this keto Caprese chicken needs Italian seasoning to bring all the flavors together. Italian seasoning is balanced with fragrant basil, oregano, thyme, and more to create classic, flavorful notes from Italy.
- Salt And Pepper: Along with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper are sprinkled on top of the chicken breasts as a tasty coating before slicing into the tender meat. Along with bringing a subtle hum of background flavor, salt and pepper both help balance the Caprese and chicken, allowing the flavors to work together in harmony.
How To Make Keto Caprese Stuffed Chicken
Making our keto Caprese stuffed chicken breast recipe is a breeze thanks to a few simple ingredients and basic kitchen equipment. Using boned and skinless chicken shaves off prep time, and cooking the stuffed chicken in a relatively high-heat oven means dinner can be on the table in under 40 minutes.
Step one: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), and gently slice each chicken breast lengthwise to create a pocket for the Caprese.
Step two: Each chicken breast can then be stuffed with sliced mozzarella, halved cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves. Toothpicks can be used to help secure the pocket of the chicken, making sure no Caprese stuffing is lost in the oven.
Step three: Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and drizzle them with olive oil. They can then be sprinkled lightly with dried Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Step four: Place the dish into the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the mozzarella is bubbling.
Step five: Once cooked, remove the Caprese stuffed chicken from the oven and remove the toothpicks before serving. A side of steamed vegetables or a leafy salad is the perfect way to enjoy the chicken as part of a meal.
Tips And Variations
Slow Cooker Keto Caprese Stuffed Chicken: Getting ahead of time and meal-prepping is a great way to carve out extra time in the day for other activities. Utilizing a slow cooker is a fantastic way of cooking keto Caprese stuffed chicken and results in the most flavorful, tender meat packed with vibrant, powerful flavors. A slow cooker can be used on low or high heat, but the chicken will likely need at least a couple of hours to cook through and become white-fleshed and delicate.
Caprese Stuffed Chicken With Keto Pesto: A drizzle of keto pesto on the Caprese stuffed chicken is a delicious way to echo the flavors within the stuffed meat. A simple pesto with pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan, and fresh basil is the perfect partner to Caprese stuffed chicken, enhancing the basil notes and adding flecks of forest green to each mouthful.
Prosciutto Wrapped Keto Caprese Chicken: To add even more decadence to keto Caprese stuffed chicken, layer slices of prosciutto over the chicken breasts before they go into the oven. The salty prosciutto adds another layer of texture and flavor and echoes the Italian heritage of the dish.
Leftover Caprese chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the chicken in the oven or air fryer and heat it all the way through before serving. I don't recommend freezing the chicken because the tomato and fresh basil don't freeze well.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many carbs are in Caprese stuffed chicken?
Our keto Caprese stuffed chicken recipe contains just 1.7g of net carbs per serving. This amount may change with the addition of a side salad or vegetables. However, the total carbs should stay low when using keto-friendly vegetables.
What is a substitute for mozzarella in a Caprese?
Mozzarella works well in our Caprese stuffed chicken recipe, but burrata cheese works similarly if you don’t have any mozzarella to hand. Using cheddar is possible, too; although it’s a harder cheese than mozzarella, it may not melt quite as well.
What can I substitute basil for in chicken Caprese?
Fresh baby spinach is an ideal substitute for fresh basil leaves. Spinach has a similar color and texture but lacks the herby kick fresh basil leaves bring.
Can you cook Caprese stuffed chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, this stuffed chicken Caprese recipe can be cooked in an air fryer, too. Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (180°C) and place the stuffed chicken breasts in the basket. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted.
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
- 4 Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless
- 4 oz Mozzarella Cheese fresh, sliced
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 12 fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning dried
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice each chicken breast lengthwise, creating a pocket for the stuffing.
- Stuff each chicken breast with slices of mozzarella cheese, cherry tomato halves, and fresh basil leaves.
- Use toothpicks to secure the openings of the chicken breasts, ensuring the stuffing stays inside.
- Place the stuffed chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken breasts, then sprinkle them with dried Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the toothpicks from the chicken breasts before serving.
- Serve the caprese stuffed chicken with a side salad or steamed vegetables for a complete and satisfying low-carb, keto-friendly meal.